78 Ty175 Restoration! 56k Beware! Pics

jackman

Hey everyone!

I've been riding my dad's old 78 ty 175 up at the annual "bike weekends" at the cottage when my family and friends go up to do some hard riding.. (there are probably 20 people that go, family and friends.. being 18, they figure I'm old enough to ride with them) Now I didn't keep the bike to it's original silver colour all over, I wanted to paint some accessories gloss black to make them stand out and make it unique to my likings.. so don't flame be about not keeping it original ;) I plan on owning this bike forever :( haha

Anyways, it took about 2 months for me to finish, and my friend took pics of my progess the entire time.. there are over 100 mb of high quality pics, but I'll show more than a few! I hope you all like it, I've officially become in love with this bike.. It used to be just an old bike that got be down the trail, but now it's my baby! I figured it needed to look new again because it had just gotten the engine rebuilt about 3 years ago when the oil injector stopped and it siezed the engine! Anyways, now it's been bored out a little larger, and runs like a top. The cables had also been replaced about 2 years ago so I figured it only made sence to bring the rest of the appearance back to new again aswell. This is the first bike I've restored. And I think I'll consider doing many more! I absolutely loved working on it.. I'm thinking another 175 next, or maybe a tl125. Here are the pics, 18 of them..

before1.jpg

Before Pic up at the cottage

before2.jpg

Before Pic... Looks not too bad, but I like my machines clean!

1.jpg

The project as begun! And I seem rather anxious to get it in a million pieces.. Labeling each part in ziplock bags is a MUST)

7.jpg

(here you can see how rough the bike really looks at close up, notice the handlebars are all chewed up from taping on extra sparkplugs and a socket wrench! NO JOKE! hahaha, I ended up using a wirebrush attatchment on a drill to bring it back down to metal, and then painted it the same colour as the bike frame silver)

22.jpg

(the whole bike strip down took me 2 hours, which was surprising to me because I had never done it before... besides servicing my old minibikes with my dad)

31.jpg

(after prepping the frame for primer before paint)

34.jpg

64.jpg

(I repainted the engine with highheat gloss black.. though it cam out flat anyway, and then used sandpaper to grind the edges down so looks new and original!)

98.jpg

119.jpg

It's been all buffed up and looks great! a huge improvement from what it looked like before is starting to become noticable)

123.jpg

(this is me grinding off the headlight grill thing because it was all broken and warped, I was very scared I'd mess it up, but autosol buffed it right up and I think it looks better this way, much better)

143.jpg

145.jpg

(this is a before and after...rather, an after and before of the headlight brackets after buffing it with autosol)

155.jpg

169.jpg

177.jpg

finished.jpg

(putting on a final to-do list.. like put on the chain, and put on the fuel line) since these pictures have been taken, I've done all that and have ridden it out in the snow and it runs great)

finished2.jpg

(I'm still waiting on that darn YAMAHA decal on the tank..)

I hope you all like the restoration!

Let me know your opinions on it! Thanks for looking!!

- JackMan

p.s. - sorry there's so many pictures, but better too many than not enough right??

Edited by Jackman

Thanks for the comments!! It makes it worth the work in the end to hear what people think of it.. can't wait to build the next one.. if I can get my hands on another ty175 :(

thanks again guys!

-JackMan

p.s. - Good luck with yours Monty!! :santa1:

• 2 weeks later...

Patience is the key. It took me about one month to get most of the work done... then I let it sit for about 3 weeks while I looked at the tarnished rims. Finally I decided I missed riding (dispite the snow) and wanted to clean them up so I could ride it around. After it was all said and done though, the hours and work I put into it are forgotten and I'm just left with a clean bike. I saw your pics in that other thread fatboyty, and they definatly look familiar! Do yourself and take as many pics of it comming apart. <_< Plus you can show us all when you're done!!

:lol: