Threat To Classic Trials

hrc1

anybody seen the "Inside Out" piece just on the BBC. They are directing People to the www.bbc.co.uk/insideout web address for viewers to air their views. I'm on My way anybody else???? :rolleyes:

For what its worth My ramblings :blink: are below. Lets see if they are posted.

Like the Ramblers on their footpaths, The Motorists using the "unmade" roads are expressing their right to use a legal right of way as it was intended. The Motorists are NOT (As the Ramblers semmingly are intent on), trying to increase the mileage they can use 0r as your article here incorrectly states "roam freely". As for noise A car Or motorcycle has to legally be "Silenced" so that even on The film shown the noise quickly abates. Would they like to ban Helicopters and planes flying over as the noise from those continues to be "Annoying" for some time. As for confining the Motor vehicles to "experiences". Perhaps we should confine the Ramblers to Public parks where they can "experience" rambling on set footpaths. Then they would not cause the sort of damage that shut the footpath in the Peak district that required a large number of Helicopter trips to repair! These rights of way are not only used by Leisure motorists but Cyclists and farmers whose own vehicles also cause damage. Despite the farmers protestations on film the width of the ruts on the track were clearly caused by a vehicle much larger than a 4x4 or Motorcycle. I also take issue with your comment that vehicles have been "banned" from four routes. They clearly are either Bridleways or Marked footpaths and as such Motor vehicles are not allowed on those rights of way. You cannot "ban" something that is not allowed in the first place and that use of language has plainly been used to "sex up" your report. Illegal is illegal and you cannot make something more illegal. I would suggest that anybody who opposes the Ramblers selfish actions visit http://www.muddystuff.co.uk/campaign/default.asp to obtain information or sign the online petition at http://www.saveourbyways.org.uk/ and register their disapproval.

Edited by jemhunt

And posted my views. Problem is the BBC are very selective on what they publish.

I'm surprised at the lack of coverage on other websites. I know Bradford have taken it on board and possibly some other Club sites, but...

Sandifords - nothing

Scorpa UK - nothing

Gas Gas UK - nothing

These are the folk who make their living from the sport. They should be first on the bandwagon!

but...

Sandifords - nothing

Scorpa UK - nothing

Gas Gas UK - nothing

These are the folk who make their living from the sport. They should be first on the bandwagon!

Could it not be that they may be worried that they actually sell illegal bikes, ie no number plate holder etc, just a thought not a critisism. Manufacturers of trials bikes may well have to get their act together as at 1 Yorks trial in the last few weeks POLICE stopped a good few riders from continuing as they did not have no plates etc.

At world rounds the riders quickly place their no plates on the bike for long on road use, the minder has them stashed rest of the time, at the TDN in Luxembourg in 1999 (Ithink it was) a few riders got pulled for not having No plates. In Goldendale US in 2001 the same thing happened, the police taking no action, I got stopped but as soon as US plod heard my accent he gave up !! To put our point across as responsible riders, organisers we have to make sure we are doing it by the rule, or we open ourselves up to critisism by the crag rats etc.

I would have thought that the imprters would have had some link to a petition, web site ect tho'

At least, according to that article, the Police seem to take a good stance:

"Sergeant Steve Breen of North Yorkshire Police says, "We are not opposed to the lawful and responsible use of off-road vehicles. But action is now being taken against those who use their vehicles in an antisocial or careless manner, or in places where vehicles are not permitted."

Mine haven't been yet ;)

I agree with the above statement on Manufacturers, suppliers and general bodies having their say.

Too be honest I think the offroad voice is far too quiet and if it came down to a possible ban like they did with the foxhunting then a march on London would shock the sh*t out of people when they saw just how many people there are actually participating and supporting in our leisure pastime.

• 1 month later...

I got a letter from William Propert-Lewis (Defra) on the 6th Feb stating that my comments had been noted and that they would be trying to determine the best way forward.

Letter dated 9th Feb from Gordon Prentice MP (House of Commons) acknowledging receipt of my letter.

Letter from Defra on the 4th March apologising for the delay in responding but they had received an 'overwhelming response' They will analyse the responses after the closing date of March 19th. Then a formal Government response will be published.

Another letter from the House of Commons on the 5th March, which included a letter from Alun Michael MP the Minister for Rural Affairs and Local Environment Quality. This said the same as the Defra letter dated 4th March.

All in all, it sounds like plenty of people wrote/emailed, which can only be very good for our side :huh: