Question regarding early 1970's Sherpa T OEM tires

vintagenut

Hi All,

While doing a little cleanup around the house over the weekend, I decided it was finally time to address a pile of old tires that had been collecting out behind the garage.  They were mostly unusable motocross tires pulled from earlier restorations but, while loading them into the truck for disposal, I took a pause before throwing in the old trials tires that came mounted to my recent m49 and m80 purchases.  The m49 had an ancient Pirelli MT 08 Trials up front and a Dunlop Trials Universal in the rear - both tires severely cracked.  The m80 came with Dunlop Universals both front and rear and are in slightly better shape.  I decided to hold on to the better of the Dunlops as, for a static display, they might work and would certainly be period correct... but, it did make me wonder - what was Bultaco fitting to the Sherpa Ts from this period?  I don't believe the Dunlops are OEM but don't know for sure.  A Cycle World review confused me even further as their test bike came fitted with knobbies from some unmentioned manufacturer.  

So what do you think?  Any ideas what came originally fitted to the Sherpa T from the factory circa '71/'72?  Trials tires?  Motocross tires?  Which knobbie do you think is mounted in this test article?  What came mounted to your own bike when you first brought it home?... and how many knuckles were torn, bruised or worse trying to get 'em off??  

Best regards,

Christian

1971+Bultaco+Sherpa+T+road+test+01.jpg

1971+Bultaco+Sherpa+T+road+test+02.jpg

1971+Bultaco+Sherpa+T+road+test+03.jpg

Edited by vintagenut
Typo

Thanks feetup - that does sound familiar.  I think I saw that referenced in another test article from '75, I believe. I'll have to take a look and will see if I can spot the pattern you describe.  Much appreciated!

C.