Motobatics

donmurray

Motobatics. That's what trials have become. Trials bikes have evolved too far from what the average motorcycle rider is interested in. Many, if not most, US motorcyclist has no idea what a trials event is. I suggest a new sport called Motobatics. Start with the current trials bikes, and allow unlimited development. Use only artificial sections like some the demonstration setups we see. Have vertical walls, spiraling loops, six 3' steps, and jump gaps with difficult approaches and landings. This could all be setup where there's parking for spectators, and camera crews. We already have stunt bikes, just merge the two. It would be a competition with very light, powered machines that could do amazing, dangerous stunts.

Migrate Trials bikes back to something the average motorcyclist can afford, and ride with reasonable comfort. Less of a stunt machine. Regs for trials bikes should require a seat with min height and length, and a tank with more capacity. Another quart is not going to spoil anyone

This is very out of the box thinking!

It reflects what a lot of the rank and file feel about how trials has been allowed to drift from it's roots. We have allowed rule change after rule change which has made the sport unrecognizable to those returning from raising a family and establishing a career.

Then when an average rider does happen to see a trials demo at a motorcycle show or race they cannot imagine themselves ever riding like that. Much less owning one of these machines with no seat and a pint of gasoline on board.

Adopting the classic Scottish Six Days trials rules. Then requiring a minimun tank and seat size for outdoor trials of all levels. Including the world championship would indeed be the wisest route for increasing universal acceptence for trials.

I agree that indoor events or extreme outdoor trick trials make for a good circus act. But has this new style of riding, rules and machine made the sport more user friendly?

I'm not opposed to stopping and hopping, jumping gaps, splattering and bikes with smaller and smaller tanks and no seat which become harder and harder to ride for the average person. But really we have created two seperate sports here, one the classic event like the Scottish Six Days, the other trick riding that only a few can relate to.

What do we do?

Edited by Mich Lin

I'm not opposed to stopping and hopping, jumping gaps, splattering and bikes with smaller and smaller tanks and no seat which become harder and harder to ride for the average person. But really we have created two seperate sports here, one the classic event like the Scottish Six Days, the other trick riding that only a few can relate to.

What do we do?

Good ideas Mich Lin. It does look like there needs to be some divison.

I still think hopping a motorcycle looks a little silly.

Radical - I like radical ;)

I personally like the fact my trials bike has a very low slung area where a seat could possibly go. As when my foot slips away on a rock or whatever , there is enough room for me to go down without squashing me nuts :D

The current bikes suit the type of trials we do but I can see a hybrid being more suitable for a trial like the Scott or SSDT.

All it needs is someone to design and build one :P

Scorpa do the long ride?

SY-250 Long Ride

The SY-250 Long Ride is designed for riders looking for a little more range from their bike, plus the ability to sit down over those extended rides. Different chassis options includes a higher capacity 1.1 gallon fuel tank and a seat unit combined. To minimize cost, Scorpa engineers replaced the billet aluminum pieces on the SY-250 Racing with cast pieces and front forks unique to the Long Ride. The result is a comfortable bike, for extended rides, with the performance of the SY-250.

http://www.birkettmotosportukltd.co.uk/?Sc...torcycles&print

would this be the type of thing you are all wishing for?

Barry

SY250LR-Right-Lg.jpg

I really can't make my mind up on this one. I can see both sides. i don't think the Scorpa Long Ride looks particularly good though so it's probably not helping things. They could definitely have done something better with the seat.

My old man would like it, but he'll buy owt and he's nearly 70 (they may be related).

If I had the option when I buy my Sherco of a Long Ride Tank and Seat unit which was reasonably priced, I may well go for it.

It really doesn't need a redesign of the bike, we're talking a bigger seat. Would be nice if the new seat unit interfaced with the existing airbox and extended it to something waterproof though.

I agree with bikespace this is a real stopgap rig! The gas tank still carries a lot of fuel up near the triple clamp and the seat has a horrible hump on the front.

I'd like to see if the airbox inlet is higher and colder and give the bike a ride before making any real decision on if Scorpa has missed the mark. Losing all the lightweight parts is also not in the best interest of any competition machine.

In realaity, the FIM would have to mandate this formula, nobody would have the nerve to build a proper bike of this kind unless everyone followed along together.

Believe me, where everyone misses the mark with these bikes is thinking this formula is not a serious competition machine. I'd like to see a smooth transition for the seat and tank like on a TY-350 Yamaha only with a little more sway back to the design, perhaps halfway between exsisting bikes and the TY-350/

Most of the fuel needs to be under the seat not up near the steering head. Next there needs to be a cold air intake up nearer the steering head with a greater volume airbox.

Another nice touch would be a hidden petrol cap like on the works HRC Honda/Montesa machines. The idea of a hidden gas cap is so you do not snag your riding gear on the gas cap, which that silly Scorpa seat is bound to do!

Lastly someday I'd like to see a hinging rear fender, where the rear tip moved up and down with the rear tire.

Migrate Trials bikes back to something the average motorcyclist can afford, and ride with reasonable comfort. Less of a stunt machine. Regs for trials bikes should require a seat with min height and length, and a tank with more capacity. Another quart is not going to spoil anyone

Yep, I would rather Scorpa left the lighter parts. Just want the seat and tank as an option, or a reasonably priced kit.

The LongRide body is available as an option. It will bolt right onto the standard SY250, so you can have the racing components, along with the larger fuel tank and seat.

http://www.tryalsshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=K06