What Route?

trials lad

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride easy route, and to be honest, if I'm still riding easy route in 20 yrs time (Im 37 now) I'll be over the moon !

My summary

Easy - Read ' quite challenging for a beginner, nice ride out for your average rider who wants a good day out - still astounded by the skill of blokes 20 yrs older than me on this route !'

Middle - Read 'Looks quite tricky, mainly the ambitious youths, or older experts'

Hard - Read ' There's no way I'm going to throw myself at that! - do you realise I've got a wife, kids, mortgage etc !!'

Tongue in cheek assessment - honest !!

John.

Ride the hard route but thats not to say I ride it well.

I think there may be a fair bit of difference between standard of routes throughout the country.

I'm in Mid Wales/Cheshire and don't often come up against much that makes the a*se twitch, but I went up to a YMSA trial (Derbyshire) and the expert route was too much for me. I changed to Intermediate on the 2nd lap after a couple of near death experiences. :huh:

My youth was in East Yorks and I keep meaning to get back up to Scarborough some time. No idea what route I should fit in to up there though. They have Expert, ClubmanA, ClubmanB etc.

Seems like lads I used to ride with and have come back to trials as I have are riding ClubmanA mainly. (apart from a few who I'll deny all knowledge of :( as they seem to have improved a fair bit whereas I just got worse (David Pye, Roger Williams etc)

Anybody travelled about a bit and can compare the levels throughout the country (or countries)?

Well top give a bit of an idea, this year i am having a go at the expert route in the E.Yorks centre ( which is to be truthfull above me!!! ) , but if you travel and , ride in the Yorkshire Centre (Richmond etc ) then , their middle course is equivelent to the E>yorks hard course. It varies a lot from club to club , let alone from centre to centre.

We have a small 'in' joke round here that a good Yorkshire centre ' Novice ' ( which is a strange name for the skill of the lads that ride the course )) is probably good enough to ride in a European round!!

My youth was in East Yorks and I keep meaning to get back up to Scarborough some time. No idea what route I should fit in to up there though. They have Expert, ClubmanA, ClubmanB etc.

My "home" club is Scarborough DMC and I usually ride "clubman B" (aka easy course) and to be honest, I find it difficult. That's probably because I'm a cr*p rider, but the expert lines on the same sections can be truly terrifying and I guess that's where the problem lies.

It must be difficult for the people who lay out the sections: There's such a spread of ability in the club, from total novices and old, fat has-beens (me) all the way through to national/European-class riders that to make it challenging enough for the top guys without making it impossible (or dangerous) for us mere mortals must be very difficult without resorting to seperate courses. I think that they do an excellent job in this regard, even if it means that for me, "five is the magic number" :huh::(

Depends where i'm riding. My main club launceston i ride blue which is second from hardest out of 4 routes (intermediate) the hardest route probably easiest route up country. Devenport rode easiest out of three (yellow) but if it had been dry maybe a route up. ACU event Torridge rode easiest route of two (yellow) so it depends where i'm riding.