Buy Or To Rebuild, That Is The Question?

scott_king

Hi,

Ty's are legendary and were all the rage in the 80's and early 90's. They were ace bikes in their day ,but nowadays the likes of Gas Gas , Beta etc are far ,far more competitive with more power, better brakes and suspension etc.

Ty's will still win in the right hands and they are usually very reliable but most people will get better results on a more modern bike(especially time trials where power is needed).

My advice is go out on the Ty and see how you get along with it. If you need more grunt and better brakes etc then i'd change bikes for a more modern one rather that hype the Yam up which will be money you are unlikely to get back.

Mid 90's Gassers / Betas are quite cheap. Take a good mechanic along to check out your purchace before you hand over the cash.

Good luck and welcome back to trials. :chairfall:

Ive got a very good condition 93 Aprilia Climber in the garage..(my dads really)...and my 02 Beta Rev 3, which is probably worth about 1200 pounds now.

Well....heres what I think...

the APrilia...NEVER gets ridden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why give yourself extra hard work??????????????????

yes..you will enjoy the rebuild, but that could be done, in 10 years time, or whenever???...in the meantime keep saving your money for a newer bike I would.

Of course a good rider can still win on an old bike, and will always be able to.

I mean Dougie Lampkin could kick my a*** if he was on my Aprilia with no front wheel, and no back brake!!!...but it still doesnt make me wanna ride that instead of the Beta.

I think the only enjoyment of riding the old bike would be to say that you've beaten guys on more modern bikes???

I have seen this 55 year old dutch ex champion who does tricks with his bike, a tlr 250, i am years away of. So it is defenite the rider first......... and then the bike to win something at all.

He does all modern tricks with this bike, like hopping, bunny hops etc, which he seems to do effortlessly.

Btw i am happy with my GG pro as it is soooo technically advanced :chairfall: makes me feel better :chairfall::chairfall: Trials is 90% mental :chairfall:

Edited by gasgas

I just bought an 02 Montesa 315. Not very old, but it had not been maintained at a good level. Replaced wheel bearings, brake pedal, smaller front sprocket, chain, shock link bearings, grips, levers. Also retarded the timing a tad since they have a reputation for pinging on pump gas. The clutch was dragging badly so it got new plates. The Honda engine and gearbox have never been opened and seem to be in fine shape. Very satisfied with the bike. It's easy to ride and can do much more than I'm capable of. A well maintained older 315 could be a good deal.

another echo of the same recommendation (and I have several TY350) Change all the fluids and filters then ride the TY as is and get some expereience in trials, in learning, and in riding many other types of bikes. Put the extra money in a fund so when the right used modern bike comes along you can move up.

don't put much into updating the old one as the basic technology just isn't there.

I do quite a lot to my TY just for the challenge to keep it updated, but its NOT a rational decision, its a fun decision. to ride well, much easier, i grad the modern bike.

kcj

Hey all

Thanks for all the advice.

Yeh, I think a newer bike is the way to go.

I would enjoy rebuilding the bike and id enjoy the chance to beat the older guys on a bike they started out riding on in the early 90s, but I think the time would be better invested in taking the bike out and practise.

I am going to put the bike back into mothballs rather than sale it only worth about

Hey Scott, you could always buy a newer bike to ride in the summer.. and when winter rolls by, you could pick up an older type bike and rebuild it over winter :angry: (And because bikes are so small, it only took me a couple months to rebuild the ty) It's one heck of a fun project! Give that a thought :P And good luck on buying a new bike!