Bike For My Boy

angusmcbigpants

my boy is bmx mad but i think it's time he had a trials bike. he is 12 now but never rode a motor bike of any discription, what i need is some imput from other trials riders about what bike to get him. i dont want to spend a fortune on a bike as it will only be something for him to learn on and also he may not like it ( you know what kids are like ;) ) so if anyone could give me some advice on what to buy that would be great, something thats easy for him to start, ride and also repair, if he's going to have one he has to learn to service and repair it too......many thanks.

Hi, definatly no bigger than 125,if he takes to trials and joins a club,i think i,am right in thinking at his age he would not be allowed to compete on any thing bigger.with a BMX background should take to it like a duck to water.Good luck,wont regret it. :angry:

Man! When I was around 6-14 I wanted a ty-80 SOO bad. Then I got started on the ty 175 and haven't looked back. I learned on a 1989 honda xr 80. It was a great bike to play around on, and I wish I still had it actually :P It would have made a fun project..

Anywho, I don't have a large selection of bikes in my history.. But I would recomend maybe a ty 80 if you can find a nice one. Or a Honda TL 125.. Even the yamaha 175 he could take to. You could always just chance the sprockets to make the first few gears much slower. (Just ideas).. Or switch the throttle assembly to a slow action throttle (I think that's what they're called, well, that's what I mean). Either way, your son will love what ever bike you get him. And he will also love you for getting him it! (not to get all mushy! hehe) But yeah, it will give you and your son a way to share a common interest, and down the road he will thank you I'm sure. I like bicycles a lot too lol.. but once you get bitten by the engine bug, things like horses, bikes and cars seem boring. haha, Anyways, sorry for droning on! Hope you find a bike for him!

Edit: Also, I'm not sure where you can get these anymore.. but my dad bought this cool attatchment to your clutch cable at the top, and it's called an "Easy Clutch" by the "White Brothers" (maybe you can find it on ebay or something).

here are some pics of it:

The Easy Clutch is a little extention that has an arm inside of the casing that takes the pressure off of the clutch

Here is a closer pic of it, It's great for tough clutches, or in this case, younger kids (longer riding times :angry:)

Sorry I don't have any pics of the inside of it, but basically there is an arm in the middle that pivots on a pin and takes a lot of the pressure of the cable and makes the lever move a lot easier. I used it on my xr80 way back in the day... It doesn't make it feel like a hydraulic clutch.. but it makes riding all day a lot easier on my hands now.

Edited by Jackman

Having taught quite a few kids and adults to ride, one caution: is this his idea or dad's? If he is bmx driven (I assume it means bicycle pedal bike mx like here) his basic personality will be noise, speed, jumps, air, etc. My 3 kids were bmx (oldest was Gold Cup National #1 for a year). The younger two weren't good or aggressive at bmx, and took to trials and did great. Older good at bmx, bored with trials, only rode one year.

So, my point is to approach them differently depending on their interests.

TY80 is tough and good starter, (all mine started there) but 12 yrs old I would suggest otherwise. Frames and shocks aren't strong for heavier kids-not so much their weight (most trials dads have hauled our 200 lb aging bodies around on a TY80 at some time), but that older kids like to jump and abuse them.

I'd suggest going out with friends and riding many different smaller bikes. start with an auto clutch, XR or something. At 12 yrs old, in an hour he should be ready for clutch. Try something else, see how big he can physically handle.

Ultimately, the biggest frame and wheels he can handle, throw around, and reach the ground. Don't oversize him or its discouraging. But undersizing quickly gets boring and trade in time. Small engine as possible. Slow throttle tube to start. Any engine can haul him around a long time, and less likely to get in trouble. Hey, Ishy did the SSDT on a 125.

If it's fun for him, not intimidating, but not boring, he will learn a lot even if he passes on to some other sport.

kcj

• 2 weeks later...

I agree and dis agree,going on my experiance a 80 would get boring for a 12yr.old. When I turned 12 my first real bike was a 73 XR-75,2 months later I was stealing my brothers TM-125 every chance I got,but that's me.I recommend a Gas Gas 125!nice an lite,by the time he learns to balance it he'll have grown into it. And if he shows a lack of interest,re-sale value is great.Alot better than a ole Ty-80,don't get me wrong,I love all TY's this is just my opinion. :lol:

If your son is of average build and height for his age then I would try and find an TY80 Whitehawk for a first bike. They're well built, very forgiving and easily maintained and repaired. Also the power is much less agressive than the average modern 125 bike and will ease him into the sport gently. If he shows an aptitude for riding a trials motorbike then he'll soon want to move on and you'll have to dig deeper into the wallet!

You don't give your location but in the UK a decent 80cc Whitehawk will set you back around

OK, I will. Just know that he will out grow it

soon at 12. Maybe a year or 2 tops.

Full sized tires and wheels, 70cc, light light light!

one down side, but to be expected, is that kids that age go through bikes so fast. They are growing physically, and if they like trials, can grow their skills so fast its incredible. I have seen kids blow through 3 classes in one season, and learning all the skills, not just moving up.

So expect a kid learning on GG or TY will outgrow it next season. I think its a good thing. Means he is learning, growing, and working at a new interest. Just like outgrowing sports gear, clothes, etc. its a cost in the process. But still well worth it to me.

I would go more modern than TY, but themain thing is meet some people and ride their kids bikes. And some of them might be for sale.

k

k