09 txt pro 250 cutting out when warm.

parfitt

Sorry for my first post to be this one guys but I'm at a dead end at the moment.

Had my top end redone because of low compression, and since then I haven't been able to run the bike. 

As soon as it gets warmed up it just cuts out?

I've changed the carb,CDI, spark plug checked the wiring ect searched multiple times for post on forums so thaught I'd ask myself. 

Any input would be greatful thanks guys

Had another look at this again tonight and found some corrosion on the Magento.

Would this be the cause of the problem?

If so where's can I get one from guys?

I would be looking at the HT coil (In my opinion most likely) and then the stator/magneto.

Also worth giving the spark plug lead a bit of a jiggle to see if that is the cause.

A small amount of corrosion may not be a huge issue on the stator.

9 hours ago, kurtas said:

I would be looking at the HT coil (In my opinion most likely) and then the stator/magneto.

Also worth giving the spark plug lead a bit of a jiggle to see if that is the cause.

A small amount of corrosion may not be a huge issue on the stator.

Cheers kurtas. I have changed the ht coil and changed the spark lead/cable 

So this is why I'm thinking to try the stator/magneto next. Just struggling to find one at the moment and not sure if other models will fit the 09 250

You should be able to get the coils rewound rather than getting a replacement.

If you can find a manual I would think also they would have some resistance values stated, once you warmed it up you could check these values against what you are getting to confirm it is the stator.

All of those electric components can be meter or scope tested to determine if replacement is required.  

... I always start trouble-shooting electrics from the power source and work down stream (garbage in garbage out) you are doing it in reverse.  Alternator produces the electricity so you should always start there.

Edited by lemur
  • Like 1

You just recently had the top end done.

Was the bike running fine before that? definition of fine for this case: continuous running, only shutting off when rider wished to do so.

was the engine removed from the frame or only the barrel, head, and piston removed?

Start looking at what items were disturbed, disconnected, etc.

Any sharp bends in the wiring that could have broken wire inside the insulation.

5 hours ago, zippy said:

You just recently had the top end done.

Was the bike running fine before that? definition of fine for this case: continuous running, only shutting off when rider wished to do so.

was the engine removed from the frame or only the barrel, head, and piston removed?

Start looking at what items were disturbed, disconnected, etc.

Any sharp bends in the wiring that could have broken wire inside the insulation.

The bike was running and would fire up 2nd kick every time. Was out on a ride and it just cut out so took it to a local bike shop... Done a compression test and said the top end (piston/seals) needed doin so let him do the work. 

I'm guessing he took the engine out to do this? 

There's another bike shop a couple of miles away that only deals with trials bikes I think il just bite the bullet and take it to him so get it done tidy is my best option 

• Like 1