Dunlop Geomax TL01

dan williams

I bought a set awhile back. Finally mounted them and only had a marginal ride. The rear does act weird as it does not roll over at all. Seemed to grip ok. 2 weeks and we will have a 2 day event. I will know much more then. My first thought was why did I try this, as I already had spare Michilens. They might actually hold a line better. Worst thing is I also had brand new Sidi's on which really hurt my FEEL.

• 1 month later...

Darned if I can find the answer to the most important questions; is the TL01 front even a radial ply tire?   and are TL01 stamped 'Not for road use in North America' on the sidewalls?

15 minutes ago, lemur said:

Darned if I can find the answer to the most important questions; is the TL01 front even a radial ply tire?   and are TL01 stamped 'Not for road use in North America' on the sidewalls?

Most off road bike tyres are bias belted and the eBay listing for this brand/model shows it as a bias belted (the Dunlop site shows nothing - it is pretty useless).

You can run bias front, radial rear but not the other way round.

I couldn't see a good enoigh picture either so maybe is the answer on the kiss of death stamp.

I guess some riders don't remember how much of an improvement radial tire technology made to trials bikes.  Radial is now the first and most important spec I look for when buying a competition motorcycle tire, be it for street or dirt the radial tires blow away bias tire performance by a huge margin.  If it does not say radial on the sidewall or have an R represented in the tire size code, it's probably an inferior product and I won't be buying it.

"

Brand MICHELIN
Tire Profile: TRIAL
Tire Classification Racing / Trial / 
Tyre Size Front Tire: 2.75/-21, 80/100 R21 
Rear Tire: 120/100 R18, 4.00/ R18 
Carcass Type: Tubeless / TubeType / Diagonal / Radial /

"

Bias is the more common type for tubed applications.  Since trials is tubed at the front this is going to be the likely format of the casings.  Since very few of the manufacturers' web sites and so on really make much of the bias/radial issue I would think there really isn't much in it.  For road bikes and high speed applications it is more important.  There is a lot of debate on the other forums where they cover the wider dirt bike applications, but nothing very informative.

IRC list both as radial

https://ircmoto.com/products/trial-winner-tr-011

Edited by ChrisCH
add IRC data

3 hours ago, konrad said:

How do you know?  There is no "R" in the size description for the front.

Yes, the bullet point says "Radial construction" but I think that only applies to the rear.

Maybe I  will rip an old one apart and see, otherwise I have fallen prey to the same advertising misinformation bait & switch for the past 25 years.

13 hours ago, konrad said:

How do you know?  There is no "R" in the size description for the front.

Yes, the bullet point says "Radial construction" but I think that only applies to the rear.

True.  Highly misleading if that is the case.  The size thing is a big odd as well as they still use 2.75 and 4.00 as widths when radial are more often metric.  The Michelins use both sizes one for the trial comp and the other for X-Lite.

One day, maybe, in the far distant future I might be nearly good enough to notice the difference 😁