Beta Factory 250 Flywheel Weight

NoTraction

Does anyone have experience specifically of how much difference the flywheel weigh makes on a 250 Factory?

I just bought a ‘23 model but wasn’t told it’s not a UK model, hence it doesn’t have the weight or the low comp head. I’ve ridden it for a couple of hours and love it, however one of the points of buying a Beta was to experience the soft power delivery etc for which they are renowned (usually with low comp head and flywheel weight I believe) which is clearly going to be different to my bike.

So although I’m happy to ride it as is, I’m curious to know if I’m missing out on the experience somehow by having a slightly more potent set up (Euro spec)? My other bike is a Fantic 200 which has a flywheel the size of the Moon and so I’m wondering if it would be prudent to fit one to at least narrow the gap or if the difference is so minimal as to not be worth the bother.

Cracking bike, already find it more sure footed in the tight stuff than either my TRS or my Gasser previously..

Did it come with a white or a black throttle (fast or slow).  imo That makes a huge difference to the engine response for very little cost.

Posted (edited)

I’ve put a slow on it - but what I’m really interested in knowing is how much and what difference the flywheel weight makes in isolation. UK bikes come with them as standard, mine is a non UK bike and didn’t so I’m just curious.

Edited by NoTraction

When I had my Beta 250 (UK spec) I was tempted to do the opposite, just to find out the answer to your question. I never did though. The issue I did find with the heavy flywheel was that on up-changes the bike slowed down faster than the engine so gear changes were clunky and unsynchronised. Obviously it didn't affect trials performance but I did find it ugly.

Posted (edited)

Well, I have only had two hours on it so far but it seems very tractable and responsive without. Instant power but nothing alarming. I’m going to try a low comp head just for the hell of it because I have one but it probably doesn’t need it.

I tried adding a flywheel weight to my Gas Gas but didn’t like the run on so I took it off. Oddly, on the Fantic I can’t imagine it without the heavy flywheel however it is a very low powered and also heavier bike so probably not a great comparison.

So I was really just asking as I feel I’m probably not getting the ‘true Beta experience’ and wondered if I was missing out on anything, lol…

Lovely bike, handles superbly..

Edited by NoTraction
  • Like 1