Spoke Torque Question....

CaptainBob

I have a 2023 GG 300TXT.  The manual says spoke torque is 26 inch pounds for rear and 18 inch pounds for front.  Most dirt bikes and other bikes I have owned are spec'd between 40 and 50 inch pounds  I checked the spokes yesterday on my GG and they are much tighter then what the book called for.  Am I misunderstanding something?  Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

A bike that new should not need this trick, but in addition to lemur's penetrating oil, particularly nasty ones need heat.  I generally give the nipple a quick blast with a propane torch.   I always make sure I can loosen a nipple prior to attempting tightening.

You can tell a lot just by sound.  Try tapping each spoke with a light tool (screwdriver, spoke wrench, etc.).  Tight spokes will ring.  Loose ones with thud.  You want them all to sound similar.  I don't own a spoke torque wrench.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2024 at 11:23 AM, lemur said:

Wet or dry? ... hit one of the old spokes with penetrating oil first, might make a huge difference in the readings.

I hear what you are saying but this is a new bike.  Nipples shouldn't be frozen yet.  I have done the tap technique but wanted to be a bit more precise so figured I would use my torque wrench.  Any thoughts on what seems to be really low torque specs?

23 hours ago, konrad said:

A bike that new should not need this trick, but in addition to lemur's penetrating oil, particularly nasty ones need heat.  I generally give the nipple a quick blast with a propane torch.   I always make sure I can loosen a nipple prior to attempting tightening.

You can tell a lot just by sound.  Try tapping each spoke with a light tool (screwdriver, spoke wrench, etc.).  Tight spokes will ring.  Loose ones with thud.  You want them all to sound similar.  I don't own a spoke torque wrench.

I like that heat technique.  I will use it next time I get a frozen spoke nipple.