Whats the difference

I bought what I think is a 2002 Gas Gas TXT 250. I know the year is correct but they also made a TXT 280 Pro in 2002. How do I tell which model I have. Its a fixer upper so got no documentation or and info on it. Thanks for any help.

Throw up a photo and the hive mind will be able to tell you.

Quick reference - there are other differences but this is quick:

TXT model 2002 and before has a longer shift lever

image.png.137005ffc89cbea84ace1c0b025bca8c.png

2002 and later Pro model has a shorter shift lever

image.png.702d49694997aa19d1b92337dff7b71a.png

Also frame differences

Edited by zippy
  • Like 1

You have the TXT model before the Pro model came out.

Frame matches the frame in the first photo I posted, look closely at the footpeg area.  Also The exhaust header where it enters the midbox is horizontal, the Pro in angled at that point.

The radiator on yours is "inside" the frame, the Pro the radiator sides are visible.

250cc vs 280cc, The Pro model has a number in the casting of the cylinder. Shifter side, 25 = 250cc; 28 = 280cc

I don't know if the TXT model also has that number in the cylinder casting.

• Like 2

Holy smokes that looks familiar, I was going to ask if that was my old bike but I think I had the pipe and silencer ceramic coated. I thought mine was a one off with the green rad guards, guess it was stock? Mine was an TXT 02Edition 250. My rear fender and air box cover even mis matched a bit like that one seems to, I wonder if that is stock as well? 

Are you in Canada? is that my old bike? looks like a washer welded to the kickstand like mine had as well?

That 02 was really good to me, I thought I had downgraded when I first got my 2012, I'm used to it now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glayne said:

Holy smokes that looks familiar, I was going to ask if that was my old bike but I think I had the pipe and silencer ceramic coated. I thought mine was a one off with the green rad guards, guess it was stock? Mine was an TXT 02Edition 250. My rear fender and air box cover even mis matched a bit like that one seems to, I wonder if that is stock as well? 

Are you in Canada? is that my old bike? looks like a washer welded to the kickstand like mine had as well?

That 02 was really good to me, I thought I had downgraded when I first got my 2012, I'm used to it now.

Did you sell it to a fellow named Pat ?

On 7/18/2024 at 10:05 PM, Glayne said:

... Don't remember... Names...Hmmmm...

I'll have to look a ways back. I sold it in May of 2020

Kamloops BC

Ha! Funny, I bought mine in Kamloops, lol sold it to a guy named Jeremy in ?West Kelowna if I remember correctly? I did have the exhaust and silencer painted black, the rest looks *really* familiar!