How noisy is your clutch?

F5Dave

Heya

I bought a 2023 250 one RR early in 23 and have only done about 3 trials on it,  then fell horribly ill. 

Fast forward a year and I'm just about ready to ride it.

I  gave it a warning kick, then pushed the button and it started right up.  But as I warmed it a little I did note that the clutch is rattling quite a bit.  Goes away when you push the lever.  Rode it around the lawn a few times.  Same thing.  

How noisy do they get usually?   

My RZ350 backed its retaining nut off in the 90s and I don't remember it getting noisy (just it stopped disengaging, scary). 

Edited by F5Dave

The clutch release bearing can rattle a little until the clutch is engaged.  You said you pushed the button to start it?  The sprag bearing in the electric starter (if so equipped) makes horrible noises when the little pawl return spring in that assembly gets bagged out, those noises will get worse until the starter no longer functions and sounds like a bag of hammers when you push the starter button, then you need to service the sprag bearing.  Kick start will continue to work and I haven't found any disastrous damage from the spring wearing out.  The entire sprag assembly is not a cheap part, but the spring would be inexpensive IF you can source them.

TRS's have the diaphram clutch don't they?
These seem to be inherently noisy in comparison to the basket clutches that most older and Non-trials bikes are fitted with, my guess is you are hearing that.
Obviously once you begin engaging the clutch the fingers of the diaphram are held into position and hence don't rattle about.

29 minutes ago, F5Dave said:

Thanks. Starter works like a charm. Probably only 8hrs on this bike. Def noise reduces if clutch lever pulled in. 

The clutch release rattle is not a big issue, the sprag bearing spring in my 2021 lasted 1 year and the sprag in my 2023 bike has completely failed after only 30 hours of service.  Sadly it's more of a when it will fail then an if.

That's a bit sucky.  I'll keep to my regime of kick it in the mornings to reduce wear.

Spoke to distributor today with clutch noise.   A bit "they all do that sir".

My '14 TXT is much quieter (started it 10 min later).