Gasgas TXT PRO 125 2006

Wilton

I’ve bought this bike a few months ago.  Very pleased with it so far, but it’s obviously not been very well maintained, which is fine as I didn’t pay much and suspected that was the case anyway.  My questions relate to the exhaust system.

Firstly, it clearly has much black coke inside and every time I ride the bike for any more than about 15-20 mins I get a trickle of black oil running out of the lowest joint.  I’m running an oil ratio of 60:1 - is this too much oil, hence the black trickle?

Secondly, is this silencer designed to be repacked, and if so do I need to drill out the end cap rivets to get to the inside?

Many Thanks

IMG_1247.jpeg

Yes, it's repackable and you must drill out the rivets.

Oil is a bit like religion, and you will get all manner of answers.  A white paper by Maxima indicated that small cylinders require a greater proportion of oil than do larger cylinders.  The reasoning is that they are being worked harder and revved higher.  But if you are not using the engine to its full potential, it's possible to have too much oil.

It's entirely possible the carb is jetted too rich and that is exacerbating the problem.  I have found that the needle jet tends to wear oval over time and this causes rich running.  Before tuning leaner, I recommend replacing the needle jet.

You should also clean the entire exhaust system.  Without doing that, you may not realize when things are right because it will keep oozing old unburned oil.

Edited by konrad