Gasgas txt 2001 clutch mystery

Puxley

hello all,

I have discovered the whimsical crazyness of trails. Been wanting a bike for awhile and finally picked up a txt 321 here in NZ for not to much (NZ is small market).

put new box oil (atf mineral) stripped and cleaned brake calipers (the fronts were absolutely terrible). And started rippin around having all the fun you could have. The fronts were still really bad, after talkin to hell team in auz they told me the heat em up and quench. worked like a charm. but as i was kill stopping the bike it popped back into life (i was trying to answer the phone). No problemo rab the clutch and.......... pop. the clutch despaired........... I thought no sweat must be a seal. This is where it allllllllllll starts...........

SO First

1 i pulled down and inspected the master and slave. inspected and cleaned (ultrasonic) them both didn't have new seals but dont look bad so reassemble with new crush washers and bled

i clamped the slave with a clamp and pulled lever..... LOTS OF PRESSURE looked at the slave is moving 2-3 mm i believe this should be enough travel to release?

NO difference still does not release.

2 I pulled out clutch pack made sure the basket not cracked made sure the center spins freely.

Both look fine

put clutch pack back in cleaned with brake clean.

spins freely.

3 put it in first with two clutch springs wont release..........

4 yelled alot and had a beer.

5 i put it in 6th and tried, was a little crunchy but worked, so i scratched my head in confusion, put all the springs in 1 at a time, still crunchy but worked the clutch is releasing, tried in 5th the same. So i tried in 4th............ WILL NOT RELEASE! the clutch will release with lever in 5th and 6th but nowhere else........

I have now ordered a new master cylinder to eliminate in case there is a tiny amount of bypass, i am flummoxed. 

Does anyone ave any ideas?

It really is a strange pickle

and i just want to ride

The TXT321 was my first trials bike.  I have a vague recollection that the pressure plate requires a specific orientation.  Found the following pic in my notes on the bike.  Note alignment marks. Also, I always short-filled the gearbox (using 450 - 500 ml) to reduce clutch drag.  Discovered that on my own, but later learned it was the factory-approved fix.

124884550_TXT321PressurePlateAlignment.thumb.JPG.3720bf8dc9cc841f1affdca57496bc80.JPG

Edited by konrad
  • Like 1