Any known issues with Beta Evo 2016?

Rosscorob

Hello

I am considering buying a Beta Evo 250 2016 model and was wondering if anyone could advise on what / if there are any known issues to look out for with this year of model? Thanks 

Edited by Rosscorob
More eligible

There are a lot of Beta riders around here and the bikes fair as well as any, the plastics historically get broken a lot and are expensive and that's why I mentioned it.  Most brands have their strong points and weak points and they all break if they get trashed on the rocks.  Dealer support depends on where you live and for me it makes a big difference to what I ride.  

• Like 1

Only Beta gripe i really had was sticking clutch. After standing, the clutch can bind when first started, so be prepared to put it in gear and have the bike try to shoot forward. Before starting pop it in 3rd or 4th and rock backwards/forwards with clutch in. If that doesn't work just pull away in1st with clutch in a after a few seconds it will release. V common problem re plates sticking together.

There is a clutch fix involving removing the plates to clean up the edges. Other than that never had any reliability issues if keep it maintained.

• Like 1

I loved my 2016 Factory 250. One of the best bikes I ever owned. I still see that bike at every event. I should still be riding it. I would have saved 20,000 dollars. Hind sight is a funny animal. The fragile plastics is a myth. I rode that bike hard for three years and never broke either fender! The proper clutch fix is to shim the thrust washer on the pressure plate. I just bought my Grandson a like new 2015. Perfect bike for most riders! Do it!

• Like 3

We have both a 2022 300 Factory and a 2002 250 Rev 3.

Both great fun, easy to work on and reliable. The l/h kick is something to get used to but you soon get the knack.

parts for both are easy to source.

go for it

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 10:27 PM, lineaway said:

So did you get your Gas Gas front bracket and fender yet? Just ordered mine on ebay.

Gee, what happened to the original Beta fender lineaway 🤔  did it snap into pieces or just break off at the plastic mounting points?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rosscorob said:

Controversial update but a TRs 250rr 2018 has come up for sale close by. Any opinions on those in comparison?

I have a pair of TRS 300 w/ electric start 👍 love them so much I bought 2.  Front fender has a proper metal bracket fork brace and the rear fender is 2 piece.  Kickstart is on the right side 👍 they start easy with full choke even in sub zero weather 😎 I stud one up for ice which is a blast and higly recommended if you have winter where you live.  Suspension is very lively similar to the Beta.  Spark plug you can buy at a local hardware store because it's the same as a chainsaw.   I won't say parts are cheap but I think everything has become expensive.  They like race fuel so operating cost is a little higher then say a Montesa which is happy to run on almost anything.  Invest in a guard for the header if it does not already have one.

10 hours ago, lemur said:

I have a pair of TRS 300 w/ electric start 👍 love them so much I bought 2.  Front fender has a proper metal bracket fork brace and the rear fender is 2 piece.  Kickstart is on the right side 👍 they start easy with full choke even in sub zero weather 😎 I stud one up for ice which is a blast and higly recommended if you have winter where you live.  Suspension is very lively similar to the Beta.  Spark plug you can buy at a local hardware store because it's the same as a chainsaw.   I won't say parts are cheap but I think everything has become expensive.  They like race fuel so operating cost is a little higher then say a Montesa which is happy to run on almost anything.  Invest in a guard for the header if it does not already have one.

That's interesting and good to know thanks. Have you experienced any issues with the air filter casing and failing to seal properly?

1 hour ago, Rosscorob said:

That's interesting and good to know thanks. Have you experienced any issues with the air filter casing and failing to seal properly?

It's not easy to fit the air filter properly but I've never er had it fail.  The drain hole in the bottom of the air box is prone to becoming blocked in very deep mud and you need to make sure that is cleaned every time you service the filter.   I had the airbox one third full of mud and water once and the well oiled air filter still kept the carb intake clean.  

Chain tensioner spring is not great and some of the aftermarket springs don't even fit as well as the original, I've modified one to work with a regular linear coil spring and that works, you need the chain tensioner spring to work or the bike will not roll backwards, keep something in your spares to deal with that when it happens.  

Suspension linkage uses full complement needle bearings which require regular clean and grease service or you will be dropping lots of coin for replacement parts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lemur said:

It's not easy to fit the air filter properly but I've never er had it fail.  The drain hole in the bottom of the air box is prone to becoming blocked in very deep mud and you need to make sure that is cleaned every time you service the filter.   I had the airbox one third full of mud and water once and the well oiled air filter still kept the carb intake clean.  

Chain tensioner spring is not great and some of the aftermarket springs don't even fit as well as the original, I've modified one to work with a regular linear coil spring and that works, you need the chain tensioner spring to work or the bike will not roll backwards, keep something in your spares to deal with that when it happens.  

Suspension linkage uses full complement needle bearings which require regular clean and grease service or you will be dropping lots of coin for replacement parts.  

That's great thanks. I did see that issue re the chain tensioner on a review.  So possibly a little more maintainance than the beta in terms of the components?  I'll need to get more handy with repairing stuff and learn my way about the bikes a bit better I think haha. 

Is the beta a standard or factory. The 250 rr trs is more lively than the standard beta, but has noticeably better brakes suspension and clutch. I' ve had both and currently have a trs 250 r (not rr) that, in my opinion is the best modern bike, I have ridden. Suits me and my lack of abi!ity perfectly

• Like 1