Any known issues with Beta Evo 2016?

Rosscorob

6 hours ago, Rosscorob said:

That's great thanks. I did see that issue re the chain tensioner on a review.  So possibly a little more maintainance than the beta in terms of the components?  I'll need to get more handy with repairing stuff and learn my way about the bikes a bit better I think haha. 

No they are all high maintenance if you want them to keep working good, I just finished the linkage rebuild, its a %^&h to do it right, you have to be handy with fixing stuff.

4 minutes ago, lemur said:

No they are all high maintenance if you want them to keep working good, I just finished the linkage rebuild, its a %^&h to do it right, you have to be handy with fixing stuff.

Yeah it definitely sounds like it. Is it the sort of thing you could have done at the shop or is it like a reoccurring fix? Sorry for all the questions I'm just nit sure what to go for. I've had a beta 200 2018 previously and liked it and a gasgas before that which mostly caused me and my account heartache. Every review I read though about the TRS suggests it's a bit more exciting than the beta? 

4 hours ago, timdog said:

Is the beta a standard or factory. The 250 rr trs is more lively than the standard beta, but has noticeably better brakes suspension and clutch. I' ve had both and currently have a trs 250 r (not rr) that, in my opinion is the best modern bike, I have ridden. Suits me and my lack of abi!ity perfectly

It's a standard one. I'm very torn between them. Same as most things I guess. The pros and cons haha. That's encouraging to hear about the TRS as I'm certainly no advanced rider myself. I just maybe fancy something a bit different having had beta before but not sure with my level of ability I'd appreciate the difference. 

If I was in the business of buying motorcycles to rent and keep running after everybody has been trashing them it would be Montesa 4RT, hard to break and easy to service if you are not intimidated by 4-stroke engines.  Great bike in deep mud, for long uphill climbs and for winter riding if you don't let it get ice cold.

TRS is the most exciting and fun trials bike I have ever ridden, my 2021 bike was built during covid shortages and I think I had every bad part they ever exported so you are safe.  Beta evo factory is a near equal performing bike and has just as many strengths and shortcomings.   Beta would wear me out starting it and that includes the Beta 4-stroke.

You are shopping for used so you might end up with anything.  Buy the one that starts easy, runs good and has no free-play in the chassis, wheels and suspension.

3 minutes ago, lemur said:

If I was in the business of buying motorcycles to rent and keep running after everybody has been trashing them it would be Montesa 4RT, hard to break and easy to service if you are not intimidated by 4-stroke engines.  Great bike in deep mud, for long uphill climbs and for winter riding if you don't let it get ice cold.

TRS is the most exciting and fun trials bike I have ever ridden, my 2021 bike was built during covid shortages and I think I had every bad part they ever exported so you are safe.  Beta evo factory is a near equal performing bike and has just as many strengths and shortcomings.   Beta would wear me out starting it and that includes the Beta 4-stroke.

You are shopping for used so you might end up with anything.  Buy the one that starts easy, runs good and has no free-play in the chassis, wheels and suspension.

That's very useful advice. They all have there strengths and weaknesses like you say. The beta I was co soldering was just a standard 2016 but looked in decent enough nick from the pics and videos. There are a couple of beta evos for sale near me buy they are 300s which would likely be a bit too lively for me.  I've never ridden a 4t trials bike so the montesa may be worth a look too. More to ponder 🤣 

12 minutes ago, lemur said:

I'm a senior citizen so I like the 300's 😎 stick it in third gear and just dial on the broad powerband.  

I'd buy another (300cc) Montesa or two in a heartbeat if the dealer support was here but Honda killed it.

Yeah not sure what sort of dealer report I'd get up here either to be honest. Those TRs look nice. Did the linkage rebuild work for long term? 

If water gets into the suspension linkage needle bearings on any of them they quickly rust, the part that showed the most wear on mine today was the drawn cup part of the needle bearing which is pressed into the linkage castings, they were destroyed, the inside bearing surfaces also showed signs of wear.  Other brands would have similar issues given the amount of riding I do on my bikes and conditions.  Montesa linkage is more subject to impact damage then the TRS linkage, Beta is also more robust but my riding partners Beta needs the linkage rebuilt right now, figure on every 3 or 4 years needing to drop about 300 or 400 bucks for linkage bearings and seals.  None of them have grease fittings and they would last a lot longer if they did.

Wheel bearings is another thing you need to keep on top of, any amount of play in the wheel bearing is too much and they should be replaced, figure on another 100 bucks every 2 or 3 years for those, most brands use the same bearings and you can buy those locally, get the expensive name brand ones.

On 8/4/2024 at 5:25 AM, lemur said:

Gee, what happened to the original Beta fender lineaway 🤔  did it snap into pieces or just break off at the plastic mounting points?

My godson was sponsored by Beta USA. He had it for about 6 months and rode all the nationals. Big boy was hard on the bike, I know the mount was trashed and off hand I don`t remember what fender I had used. I was a dealer for all the brands for many years, so I had all kinds laying around. I do know that I had complete stock spares with correct sticks. Which was all the plastic bits. The guy that bought it, got a great deal. I bought it for a song, Beta USA just needed it gone. By the way, all that is needed on the stock Beta front fender is a set of large washers installed before you break it!

14 hours ago, lineaway said:

... all that is needed on the stock Beta front fender is a set of large washers installed before you break it!

So why did Beta not put large washers on them?  ... give it up, Beta plastics were designed to break easy, that's a fact not a myth.  There are recommended modifications you can do to the rear fender to slightly mitigate some destruction near the airbox lid and the best fix for the front fender is to replace it with the front fender off a bike that has a metal mount bracket like most other brands.

Edited by lemur

Ha I tried to fix that post, but I keep getting kicked off this sight as its not well managed anymore. Not just my cell, but my home computer too.

I did find a pic that I did put a montess front fender and a gas gas bracket. Never did break the original rear fender  and I did try too many times. LOL

I  already have too many fenders for my 4rt. I will have to start giving them away! Never going to break one of those!

Best to try to get a ride on a few bikes. They are right the TRS does have more modern parts than the Beta. And it is easier to work on. But the front end of the TRS tends to wander off line. Actually too light in the front. There is a reason the Beta is the most popular trials bike in the world. It's the most forgiving. 

We had the first TRS in our club. A 2018 300 rr. Only problem we had was the water pump seals ( and they still have that issue) Oh and we did have a bad gas cap, that happens to all the brands for some reason now. 

I actually quit in the middle of a trials and put a for sale sign on it. Sold it that evening.. Lol

22 hours ago, lineaway said:

... the front end of the TRS tends to wander off line. Actually too light in the front. ...

As a TRS rider my take on riding the Evo is 'too heavy' in the front end, different strokes for different folks and the last time I heard of a trials motorcycle being 'too light' was never.  Rosscorob buy the motorcycle that appeals to you the most and learn it inside out, if the Beta you are looking at features all new plastics installed, now you know why.

edit: 48.7 pounds, that's how much a TRS300RRw/electric start weighs if you sneak a bathroom scale out to the garage and stick it under the front wheel  is that too light?

Edited by lemur
useless trivia added