Got a Clutch question

Assgas

Now you know it's out of tolerance.  GG sells different thickness steel plates to correct that.  Alternatively, some combination of new and used plates may bring it back into tolerance. 

Good question.  It would not with a wire-wound spring.  But disc springs are not like wire-wound springs.  The finger height being wrong could also change the leverage ratio. 

Are you sure have everything assembled correctly?  On the OSSA, the fingers have an inside surface and and outside surface.  The difference is subtle but noticeable.   You should be able to see which way there were installed originally by slight wear marks.

Edited by konrad
Replaced would with wound.

27 minutes ago, Assgas said:

So if the clutch pack is under spec  the pull will be hard to pull ?

@Assgas there is one spring in a diaphragm clutch so the thicker the clutch pack the more pre load you have on the spring and so in theory the pull at the lever will be harder and the less chance of having clutch slip , as the clutch discs wear the pull should become easier because you have a Belville spring with less preload on it. If you have the wrong type of O rings on the clutch post ie not compatible with the type of clutch fluid they will expand and may cause binding which would make it a hard pull at the clutch lever.

• Like 1

There is a saying in electronics troubleshooting, "If you can't make it better, try making it worse.  You may learn something."  Based on your measurements, the finger height is nearly a millimeter out of spec.  I would correct that.

I have found it difficult to measure the clutch pack thickness accurately.  A caliper is better than a micrometer for this job due to the increased surface area. 

The variation in pack thickness is important on the OSSA.  Here is the procedure to check that: https://www.ossa-efi.com/home/my-upgrades/clutch-control-ring#h.twzu1hiimf5e

The two good rides is a puzzler.  Did you soak the new friction plates in oil overnight prior to installation?  I find that helps maintain consistent operation.

Finally, it's not something crazy like inadvertently mixing DOT fluid and mineral oil in the clutch hydraulic system is it?