TLR 200 idling issue / air intake screw..

johnnyjazz

Hi friends, sorry to be a nuisance again but i was hoping to garner some info to help me along...i have tried to do my due diligence to research but the web is so full of thoughts/opinions trying to access the pertinent (correct) info can be challenging.  Rather than try and go for what someone said in on page 9 of a 37 page thread from 2007 i shall just try and start again!  (i am a Noob)

Q/ i know the reflex's that came stateside were set to run lean and have a #38 pilot jet.  i obtained a #40 from what i thought was a 'reliable on line source' only to find out it def looks the wrong one (Part # 99124-076-0400). Rather than 'shove in in' and mess everything up and damage the brass, my judicious nature prevailed and i just stopped.  would anyone know a correct part number for a #40 pilot jet for an 86 reflex?  maybe that is the one but the threads look a wee bit bigger?

also, am i right in thinking its quite common to have this issue on the TLRs?  runs totally fine and tick over is sweet then it just drops revs and stalls after a minute at idle...very frustrating!  - is that the pilot circuit taking over from the main?

finally, i see in the manual where it says to 'turn the air screw all the way in then back it out 1 3/4 turns....am i being totally stupid as it looks like 1 turn is all i can get with the stopper/ tab thing in the way? is this the limiter tab that needs to be removed to adjust properly?

oh and super lastly, pic of plug - does it looks ok?..maybe .is it too rich? 

thank you all so much for any help! having so much fun and making loads of awesome mods (new shocks, down and back pegs, 9 tooth front. new bash plate...etc) thanks to all the advice's and guidance here. learning SO much as always.

Now i just need to practice!! ;)

very best from NY, Johnny...

pics of 'new' #40 jet with old #38...totally wrong one yeah? and air screw with locking device thing and plug.... Thank you thank you thank you!!  You Guys are the BEST!!!

20240811_102751_resized.jpg

20240811_113534_resized.jpg

20240811_115056_resized.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz

Don't shove the wrong pilot jet in!

Yes, that is a limiting cap that was introduced for EPA compliance. 

Reading a plug is a skill that can't be taught -- only gained through much experience and experimentation.

Rather than bother about how the plug looks, concentrate on how the bike performs.  Don't be afraid to experiment!  I like to have at least one jet either side of standard to know in which direction to go.

A Lifetime of Jets 2.JPG

• Like 1

It's a Keihin carburetor, go to the Keinin catalogue, Sudco is the biggest supplier of carburetor info and cataloged parts in NorthAmerica

... spark plug looks nice and toasty brown from here even though the important parts are out of focus.

Edited by lemur
  • Like 1

If that is the original carby, it is probably worn in the slide and you will never fix the variable idle issue.
You can adjust it correctly and then 5 mins later it isn't right, so you adjust it and then on it goes.

We bought a chinese copy keihin and put legitimate keihin jets/needle in and solved that issue.

• Like 2

Thanks u kurtas!  it is the original although bike only has 1400 miles....if i cant get it sorted i see i can get the Taiwanese copy off of fecked pretty cheap.   Or i might look into the OKO as i swapped one onto the TY250 i had a few years ago and it was a vast improvement....didnt help me ride any better mind you...lol..i still ride like an elephant...

i see on mid atlantic trials site that the OKO swap for the TLR is a wee bit more involved though....

thanks all so much for dialogue! super appreciated :)

Thanks lineway...been through that post many times...not definitive imho, though very helpful- ...   esp. as it gets quite negative and confrontational in places which turns me off...  appreciate the help and encouragement though so i will revisit and study further in greater detail!   that post reminds me of the old joke...'how do you start an argument on the internet?....express an opinion and sit back and wait!'  lol   i appreciate all Brewtus's efforts and the banter between you two is most funny!  i loved the Kilt pic the most! :)

Edited by johnnyjazz