1 of my 2006 Gas Gas TXT Pro bikes have the fan wired so it runs all the time.

thesaint

I guess the thermostat on this bike i not working as it is supposed to since they have wired the electric fan so it runs all the time.

On 1 of my Gas Gas TXT Pro bikes the fan is wired so it runs all the time. 

I supposed that i should i wire it back so it kicks in according to the thermostat

Having the fan running all the time is not best for the electric fan motor so what do you think?

Edited by thesaint

• thesaint changed the title to 1 of my 2006 Gas Gas TXT Pro bikes have the fan wired so it runs all the time.

It depends a lot on the ambient temperature and the condition of the cooling system.

I would not worry about wearing out the fan motor.   A more important issue is over-cooling the engine.   Generally, competition 2Ts are run as cold as possible to improve charge density and maximize horsepower.  But  trials bikes rarely need maximum power.  A more important consideration is improved charge vaporization (best throttle response) and a warmer intake charge helps that.

• Like 2

Can only think of two reasons to do that, they didn't want the engine idle speed to change when the fan kicks on or the thermostat went faulty.  The better way to fix it is to install a working thermostat and put a bypass toggle switch on it to manually control the fan.  I guess the question is does your engine speed change if the fan is connected and disconnected, if idle speed does change significantly that relates to the power load increase on the alternator.

• Like 1

I would not worry about it. Just let the bike warm up good before you ride. In 1995 ALL the new fantics had junk thermostats that there was no better replacements. All the dealers wired them to full run. Never heard of a single problem. I have had to wire many a trials bike to vet it through a weekend event. I dought many a person actually fixed the thermo after that.

10 hours ago, lineaway said:

.... In 1995 ALL the new fantics had junk thermostats that there was no better replacements. All the dealers wired them to full run. Never heard of a single problem...

Can't understand why anyone would permanently bypass a thermostat switch with anything other then a switch 🤔 they saved a whole 4 bucks on a switch and I imagine those same dealers have no problem selling additional replacement stator coils, rectifier/regulators and replacement fan motors as a result of that downgrade. 

Trouble with a switch, people forget about it. Seen a Champ rider remember right in the middle of a section when his bike over heated.

We also have an old vac truck at work and everbody forgets to flip the switch after its started. Humans always make silly I forgots all the time. My wife's friend has sunk her ski boat about 13 times!

What plug?!?

Thanks a lot for you replys here ☺️ ☺️

What i can tell you about this bike is that when cold and the choke on it usually (not usually but always) starts on the first kick and if not it starts on the scond kick. When the bike warm it always starts on the first kick. 

The bike works perfect and i have had no problems with this bike.

Since this TXT Pro have had the electric fan wired so the fan motor runs all the time i do not know if the engine speed change if the fan is connected -disconnected

I will check the thermostat in hot water since i have a feeling that the thermostat is broken so that is why the previous owner wired it so it runs all the time.. 

I would think having the electric fan motor working all the time do wear the electric fan motor out faster compared to having the electric fan motor starting to work when the thermostat send signal for the fan motor to run or what do think?

If i put a bypass toggle switch on it to manually control the fan i will probably forget to switch the fan on so i will nott do that. If bypass toggle switch works like an on off switch that is. 

I was not aware of the fact that the engine idle speed to change when the fan kicks in. 

I have to check my settings on this website since i do not get emails when my post get a reply

Edited by thesaint

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

I would think having the electric fan motor working all the time do wear the electric fan motor out faster compared to having the electric fan motor starting to work when the thermostat send signal for the fan motor to run or what do think?

When a DC motor starts, it draws several times its normal running current for a fraction of a second.  What's worse, frequent starts or constant running?  Depends on the duty-cycle I suppose.  Either way, I would not lose sleep over it.  The thing that kills fan motors is hitting them with a blast from a pressure washer.

3 hours ago, lineaway said:

Trouble with a switch, people forget about it.

If only there were some type of automatic control to turn the fan on and off...  😛

Edited by konrad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, konrad said:

...  The thing that kills fan motors is hitting them with a blast from a pressure washer....

Must be why I never had to replace a fan, I clean most parts like that with a toothbrush and some spray cleaner 😎

op.  When you run a generator and plug in a toaster you can hear the engine work way harder to make more electricity, bike alternator is identical, making electric power takes energy, making more power all the time needs more energy and making energy produces heat which is damaging to electrics.  It's not fuel injected so the Fan motor is the highest power draw on your bike, it would be normal for it to draw down on the idle speed some when the fan kicks in, I added a toggle on my 315 Cota to deal with that exact issue, idle dropped noticeably when the fan kicked on.

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

Trouble with a switch, people forget about it. Seen a Champ rider remember right in the middle of a section when his bike over heated. ...

That's why you still have a thermostat switch on there, the bypass switch is wired in parallel to the thermostat switch not in series. 

op

Diodes can't take heat, it's the rectifier/regulator that will fry first, followed by the coils, followed by the fan motor that makes its own cooling 

Trouble with a switch, people forget about it. Seen a Champ rider remember right in the middle of a section when his bike over heated.

We also have an old vac truck at work and everbody forgets to flip the switch after its started. Humans always make silly I forgots all the time. My wife's friend has sunk her ski boat about 13 times!

What plug?!?

2 hours ago, lemur said:

That's why you still have a thermostat switch on there, the bypass switch is wired in parallel to the thermostat switch not in series. 

op

Diodes can't take heat, it's the rectifier/regulator that will fry first, followed by the coils, followed by the fan motor that makes its own cooling 

You guys must have bad luck to be so worried about such a simple thing. I have replaced one fan in all my years, in my own bikes. Which I have had over 100. I have never needed any electric part besides points, condensor, plug and cap.

Now I have had to replace other peoples stuff. Most of the time it was self induced.

Since we live in New Mexico. The sun is usually fully on, no switch.

Which means our fans are probably on 90 % of the time. Not really an issue at all. Besides we have low humidity which means no corrosion too. 

Next your going to tell me not to drive at night cuz it is hard on the alternator! 

Correct none of my bikes thermo's failed. I was a dealer for all the brands for over a decade. So of course I have seen lots of failures. The Fantic I refered to had its own strange thermo in the head itself. No replacement that I was ever told about. But I have seen alot of thermos bypassed with no issues.

Thesaint has a bike that runs fine just by passed. You act like it will self destruct. Lol 

Big deal, just ride it!

Edited by lineaway

You act like a thermostat switch is a totally non-required 20$ part that every manufacturer puts on their machines without reason.  What's the big deal with just fixing it!  If he leaves the fan run 100% and fries a 90$ rectifier he can thank you for the recommendation to ignore it.