4rt vs 2 strokes.

sjmlancs

As I've now got my son into trial I fancy a bike to ride. I'm disabled with a arm injury & I'm looking for riders experiences with the montesa 4rt.

I'm a tall lad & I'm not looking to compete, I darent as my injury is severe, I do however want to have a bike to ride around, climb some hills & just have a bit of fun with my son. 

I gave up trials as I was far to busy racing speedway & I had a late 90s model gasgas. The 4rt had just arrived & saw Douggie on it, i just thought it was a superb bike & I kind of have my heart set on one.  

How do they compare to the 2 strokes? Does a 2 stroke bike have advantages apart from weight. I can't flick a bike about anymore as one arm is locked in a 90 degree position however I can still ride, just. 

I would love to get my speedway bike back out the shed but it's lethally fast & my arm wouldn't take the punishment. I'm looking for something that's gentle enough to enjoy & maybe to carry my over 40 ass up to a section at a trial as I'm hoping to help observe.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit but hopefully it paints my picture a bit better.

Si 

• Like 2

The 4RT is a superior all around trail bike, they have a broad powerband, start easy, cheaper on fuel, tough to break and hold resale value better than most.  Easier to ride at non-competitive level trail riding, if you can still ride a motorcycle I would think 4RT is the one.  I ride TRS now but would go back to Montesa 4RT in a heartbeat if sales and parts dealerships still existed where I reside, I rode 4RT' for 16 years.  

Montesa/Honda fuel injection makes the 4RT far superior to other 4-stroke trials bike models imo it would be the only 4-stroke trials bike to consider.

As for servicing the 4RT, you will need to be able to adjust valve clearances accurately after 4 or 5 years of riding and it becomes harder to start, otherwise they are not much different compared to a 2-stroke to service.  Replacement spark plugs are way more expensive but you will rarely need to replace one.  Air filter is way better compared to some and the plastics are expensive but durable.

4RT works great in winter as long as you don't let the oil get thick in sub zero temps, sub freezing temps makes it near impossible to start unless you build a fire under it.

4RT Header pipe runs very hot and needs a shield upgrade or you will melt your riding pants on it regularly.

10 hours ago, lemur said:

The 4RT is a superior all around trail bike, they have a broad powerband, start easy, cheaper on fuel, tough to break and hold resale value better than most.  Easier to ride at non-competitive level trail riding, if you can still ride a motorcycle I would think 4RT is the one.  I ride TRS now but would go back to Montesa 4RT in a heartbeat if sales and parts dealerships still existed where I reside, I rode 4RT' for 16 years.  

Montesa/Honda fuel injection makes the 4RT far superior to other 4-stroke trials bike models imo it would be the only 4-stroke trials bike to consider.

As for servicing the 4RT, you will need to be able to adjust valve clearances accurately after 4 or 5 years of riding and it becomes harder to start, otherwise they are not much different compared to a 2-stroke to service.  Replacement spark plugs are way more expensive but you will rarely need to replace one.  Air filter is way better compared to some and the plastics are expensive but durable.

4RT works great in winter as long as you don't let the oil get thick in sub zero temps, sub freezing temps makes it near impossible to start unless you build a fire under it.

4RT Header pipe runs very hot and needs a shield upgrade or you will melt your riding pants on it regularly.

Thank you for your honest opinion. Some excellent information, I'm OK doing most repairs but anything inside an engine I'll leave to those that know what they are doing. I think we still have a montesa dealer locally but there's plenty of motorcycle garages locally many who also sell trials bikes. 

Sounds like my initial thought on a 4 stroke was right. 

Cheers

Si