How oil do you put in the box of your 1994 Gas Gas JTR?

nick1

How oil do you put in the box of your 1994 Gas Gas JTR?

I tried MOTUL TRANSOIL EXPERT 10W-40 and Putoline RS 75 this is a synthetic oil. I haven’t seen a video that before, or 5w-30 was regular oil, or was it mineral oil? Where can I find this? Could the Sentetic oil cause disc slipping? What oil do you use?

2364_13355_putoline_70318.jpg

motul-transoil-expert-sae-10w-40-getriebeoel-racing-1-liter~2.jpg

Edited by nick1

• nick1 changed the title to How oil do you put in the box of your 1994 Gas Gas JTR?

13 hours ago, Tr1AL said:

@nick1 https://youtu.be/SKPCCsKOgr4?feature=shared mineral oil is mineral oil find some motor/engine oil 5W30 for a car engine and put 650 cc in your bike, The man in the video knew more than GasGas did about GasGas bikes.  1994 bike is a JT . A JTR is the 1996 model

Thank you, I can’t find such oil (There are only synthetics or semi-synthetics. Or maybe the discs are still slipping due to the fact that the package is smaller?

Not sure what the original clutch plates on your bike look like, but the plates in the photos look like S3 aftermarket plates.  Thickness of the clutch pack should be taken from the service manual.

The transmission oil I use in all my bikes is the same oil they use in a farm tractor or excavator so it is relatively inexpensive and very easy available from any heavy equipment store.  The oil will be called UDT (Universal Drive Train) or all season hydraulic excavator oil and is well suited to wet clutch and wet brake applications.  The brand I am currently using is sold by Kubota but I have used similar spec oils from other manufacturers with equal success.   

Oil level should be no higher then the plug where a sight level window would be if so equipped, just like the Jim Snell video they linked you in your other thread.

• Like 1

@nick1  KUBOTA oils are made for them by REPSOL if that helps you in your country , Where are you living?   You can buy mineral oil on ebay in the UK  it is used to break in a new engine after rebuilding them for  a while before changing it for full synthetic oil . One of them that you can buy is by a manufacturer called DRIVEN and the oil is called BR30 CONVENTIONAL 5W 30 , It costs £12.50 for a LTR  but It may be expensive for the Courier to your address. I would probably  try using  AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID DEXRON III it is used by many people in a trials gearbox and clutch it should be easily available.