Sherco 290 carb circlip position.

sjmlancs

Hi all,

I've been posting recently about my 290 sherco which has been running lean. 

Today I stripped down the carb & cleaned up everything & re assembled it. The needle circlip is on the 2nd from the top notch, is this the correct one?

Once the needle is in the correct position does anyone know roughly where I need to position the screws for the fuel? 

Sorry for all the questions I just want my bike to run sweetly. 

Thanks

Si 

Edited by sjmlancs
Spelling

• sjmlancs changed the title to Sherco 290 carb circlip position.

The specs for a 2003 290 with PHBL26BS carb are: fuel screw 3.5 turns out from lightly seated.  Clip 3rd groove from top.

The idle screw should allow the slide to be "a little bit open."  Very roughly, you want to be able to get a 2 - 3mm wire to pass under the slide.  

But this is all just a starting point.  The local fuel, premix ratio, atmospheric condition, cleanliness of air filter, and rider preference all play a part.

BTW the standard pilot jet is a 33.  This jet must be perfectly clean! (And it's the thing that gives most people trouble.)

11 minutes ago, konrad said:

The specs for a 2003 290 with PHBL26BS carb are: fuel screw 3.5 turns out from lightly seated.  Clip 3rd groove from top.

The idle screw should allow the slide to be "a little bit open."  Very roughly, you want to be able to get a 2 - 3mm wire to pass under the slide.  

But this is all just a starting point.  The local fuel, premix ratio, atmospheric condition, cleanliness of air filter, and rider preference all play a part.

BTW the standard pilot jet is a 33.  This jet must be perfectly clean! (And it's the thing that gives most people trouble.)

Thank you, 

I took the pilot jet out & cleaned it, it was blocked. It's a tiny hole but I got it cleaned out.

I will reset the circlip as it seems it's in the wrong position & see what happens. Does the other screw need fettling???

Si