Looking to buy my 1st bike

Chillout1983

Hi all I am looking to buy my 1st Bike as trials is something I have always wanted to do, I am looking at a Montesa 4rt as I like the fact it is 4 stroke and fuel injected I have also considered a 2 stroke Beta however I keep ending up back at the Montesa any help and advice appreciated?

Where do you plan to ride (what terrain do you typically have available) ?  Montesa 4RT excels at many things but the nearest dealer for me is 4000km away, so parts support and buying new bikes is not one of them.  PGM-Fi fuel injection is the best 👍  4RT handle far more planted where most 2T bikes tend to handle more lively, the 4-stroke engine wins if you ride at continuous sustained speed for long periods, 4RT' thrive on really long steep climbs where you need to peg the throttle and leave it pegged.  Throttle control between the 2T and 4T is the biggest difference, what works on one is not right for the other, 4T engines don't like to be blipped, 2T engines work best for short bursts of insane power response, the Montesa has a 5 plate clutch to deal with heavy use of the clutch.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chillout1983 said:

Hi all I am looking to buy my 1st Bike as trials is something I have always wanted to do, I am looking at a Montesa 4rt as I like the fact it is 4 stroke and fuel injected I have also considered a 2 stroke Beta however I keep ending up back at the Montesa any help and advice appreciated?

@Chillout1983 Everything depends on where you live and If you have any trials bike riding experience at all in the past even on a MTB  messing around , Lots of people go out and buy a bike spend a fortune on the best boots , clothing and a helmet then go out for a ride fall off a few times scratch and scrape their bike then realise the bike does not do the work and it feels nothing like you thought it would when you have watched other people ride  as they make it look easy , they probably started aged 6 and have ridden trials every week- end for over twenty years. If you let people  on here know where you are in the World they can give you better advice on how best to start out without losing a lot of money  if in the end you find that actually it is not for you . I am 61 and have ridden on and off since I was 17 . I personally would not advise you to start out on a Montesa 4RT unless you have previously ridden 4 stroke trail bikes dirt bikes off road regularly . Like I said what advice you need  depends on what base you are starting from , your physical condition how much money you can afford to throw at it. what weight height are you , what type of trials riding are you inspired by , wobbling about on some easy sections at a club event or jumping up 5ft high steps on a hard route etc etc  knowing all these things helps people  to give the best advice especially on what bike and the motor capacity that may best suit you. Best wishes Alan. 

Edited by Tr1AL
  • Like 3

Hi sorry I was probably a bit vague in my my original post however thank you for the replies, I am in Aberdeenshire Scotland aged 41 years weight is about 90kg, I have no previous experience on a motorcycle although I did casually do Mtb trials up until I was 17 (passed my driving test) from what I see of the local club the ride mainly in rocky woodland . I am of full understanding that any Trials bike I buy will be way more capable than me.

thanks

Buy a small engined bike to start.  See how you get on.  Give yourself at least 6-8 months on whatever you buy before you upgrade - if you upgrade.  Whatever you buy will be great fun and more than enough to get you started.  The key skill is balance (well IMHO it is) and you can learn that on anything.  If you still have the balance from your MTB days you should be good enough soon enough.

The Beta is popular and will not lose much value if it is over three years old.  We have a few 4rt riders in our club and they are good bikes but not trouble free.  Don't overlook other brands though - all modern bikes are worth looking at (electric too). 

You are a bit out in the sticks and might need to travel to find a decent dealer - I found Tom Adamson on a search but their website is utterly crap so can't even see what's in stock.  Maybe start with your local club and see if there is anything on offer there and if anyone will let you have a quick lap of the car park?  I've always found everyone in the sport to be friendly and helpful.

A Beta 200 or 250 will serve you well. Don't go bigger! The Betas are simple and easy to work on, steer well and will do everything you ask of them. I've never had a Montesa so I can't comment much except to say they sound nice and cost a lot more. I'm now fully converted to electric, so I would also suggest you consider an EM. Cost secondhand is similar to a Montesa or maybe a touch more, but there is much less maintenance and they are brilliant to ride.

• Like 1

Yes, trapezartist is on the money.  A Beta 250 in standard format is hard to beat as a default position.  Does everything well enough and is reliable and resellable.  It is a safe option for anyone pretty much.  Anything post 2014 is good to ride and the earlier ones really are not all that much different.  The old Rev3 is harder for parts now and IMHO the Evo is better (had both).  The front brake is the weak point in my experience, but a new disc and better pads can cure it.

Older bikes are a lottery - it might be a bargain and well cared for or it can be a shed.  Newer large cc bikes will have been ridden hard and can be a lottery as well.  I would suggest there is more difference between bikes of the same brand than there is difference between brands if you are looking at secondhand stuff.

When you are sitting in a ditch full of icy water with the bike on top of you they are all about 70Kg 😁