Montesa 315r Tuning

jono

has any one fitted boysen reed valves to a 315r?

if so what is involed? would you have to do carb mods?

can you adjust ignition map in the cdi unit?

the tickover seems to be very noisey, sounds like pinking, may just be something vibrating but cannot seem to find anything.

any info greatly appreciated

Ran Boysen for years.... love 'em

The bike has less hit at low rpm but revs to the moon when required seems to feel like a bigger engine is installed.

Fitting straight forward remove airbox, rear shock and middle exhaust, 4 bolts hold on reed cage. Replace reeds using locktight on reed screws. Service swing arm suspension bushes at same time.

To solve pinking I use two base gaskets on cylinder which reduces the compression ratio but raises the ports half a millimeter so the effect is about the same.

Both mods are reversible so try it and see, my opinion well worth it.

I use a Keihin PWK 28 which required a slightly larger pilot jet. Small pilot jet could also be cause of pinking.

Ignition as standard is totally non-tunable.

Power is sharper! Don't know if that would be classed as a "Benefit"!

Get some shell optimax to cure the pinking. It works!!

Adjusting the timing will also make it sharper, again, not recommended, unless your name is "Dougie"

It has plenty of poke as standard, why mess around with it? >Honda spend thousands of man hours getting it right.

tried some 102 octane turbo fuel from work, mixed with a bit of normal unleaded, still seemed to pink but my fan wasnt working

have since fixed fan and will try some optimax at weekend

will also change plug and clean idle jet, also check for coke buidup on cylinder head and piston.

can i richen up idle mixture with the little screw on side of carb?

when i asked about timing i was thinking of retarding it to smooth pout power not to make it more snappy.

thanks for advice

jono

my dads thinking of getting some of those boysen reeds, can you fit them to an 04 315r? and also what will putting a straight thing in the exhaust instead of a bendy one do? and finally were can he get these parts?

thanks alot

chris