Tubeless Tyre

mik60ish

I've cracked it!Took tyre of removed all the silicone done away with the spacer washer on the valve put some soapy water inside of rim pushed valve through rim tape reassembled making sure that the tape was in the groove all the way around rim All explained on Sherco website (Thanks Alan) Pumped tyre up good as gold! :D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

The last one I did, I used DC-4 compound(silecon paste) to lube the band and put a small glob over each spoke nipple before installing the band.

Theory being that the air pressure on the band will push the compound between the spokes, nipples and rim to displace moisture and prevent corrosion.

Minnor problem with the band being TOO slick, popping in easily with the fingers, but also popping out very easily along an edge section if you are not careful, causing a small leak, as the lube itself is not quite viscous enough to hold air. If it were only slightly more viscous it would be perfect!

I think the trick is getting the tire on and putting air on it before anything moves! Then all is well once it has settled a bit and has some pressure on it!

FYI only!

MC :D

Mark, is DC-4 a "tune up" type dielectric silicone grease?

Did one yesterday on Ben's bike, had to go back in and realized I had gotten carried away tightening the valve stem without spacer and popped the band back out right by the stem. Loosened it up, reset the band and everything seems to be working fine.

I am using this "gaithers" brand of tire lube right now. Seems to work really well. Got it to do the tractors, has that penetrating action to get between the tractor beads before you start hammering on them. Made it slick enough I put the tire back on the rim twice without tools. Yet dries in about the time I get everything seated.

I still want to see those guys that are seating these things at 35 psi. They are sure doing something that I am missing.

Mark, is DC-4 a "tune up" type dielectric silicone grease?

Yep, Dow Corning, popular with the aircraft bunch, 3M makes a similar product as a lubricant but it seems a bit thinner viscosity, still works. The DC-4 comes in tubes, the 3Min a can w/brush.

As far as getting them to bead up, that Yomee ring is nice! A little soapy water and LOTS of air! Let er'rip!

I remember one Brad had at the Sherco trailer a couple of years ago that would not seat at the 100psi indicated on their portable compressor. We tried EVERYTHING! Then took it up to the lodge and put about 120 on it! It went! SCAREY! But we used a remote hook-up sort of like I have at work, with an extension hose and regulated valve so you do not have to get NEAR it! Sounded like a gun went off when it went!

I would never do 100 on a used tire though! You have to be very careful! They can hurt you BAD! I like the regulated extension hose with a clip-on chuck, I'm chicken!

• 4 weeks later...

Had to do one yesterday and grabbed a tube of Permatex tune up grease, dielectric silicone type stuff.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotiv...Up_Grease_1.htm

Cleaned the rim up real well, and smashed a dollop of grease into each spoke nipple real well to hopefully prevent future corrosion and water intrusion.

Lubed the rim band up with it and it has to be the easiest I have ever slid one in. Man, that stuff makes rubber slick. Not sure how it will hold up over the test of time, but for now it is all holding and seems to be working well.

Just another option, and it sure made installation the fastest I have ever done it.

Yep, I spent some extra time wiping / cleaning everything up after I got the rim band settled in how I wanted.

I checked last night and it is still holding air fine. That was nice.

(changing leaf springs on Christina's Ranger was not so nice :D )

May have to do that one again. I am hoping that the dollop of grease on the heads of the spoke nipples minimizes the water intrusion. Only time will tell.