Blatant Gardening

cota kid

Whats the worse case of blatant cheating, whether its gardening or anything else, people have witnessed at a WTC round or indeed any other trial.

You don't have to name names but it would be a lot more interesting if you did.

Alan Sagar observing at our Forest Trophy trial to unnamed red faced rider:

"I've had 150 riders through here without moving any rocks, what makes you so ******* special?" :)

Grimbo can be pretty good at it. Seen him almost use a wheelbarrow to move a kicker in <_<

Edit: I've just noticed the thread that probably prompted you to ask this question. I honestly hadn't read it before.

Edited by bikespace

"JCB JARVIS", copyright, Bigfoot, GETS MY VOTE!

SSDT 05, just about every section he was at, he was gardening,including one occasion where he just manouvered a circular boulder, abot 2 foot diameter out of the way!!

I'm surprised he doesn't carry a fold up shovel in his back pack :crying:

Seriously though, it is pretty galling when the clubmen have to battle through sections, and the top boys, who would probably clean it anyway, feel the need to give themselves every advantage, by cheating, because that's what it is. I'm sure that if the observers were to give them a 10 point penalty, and enforce it, they would think twice!

This is always a good debate.

so Jarvis moved a two foot circular boulder and now he's the anti christ ?

do you really think that when amos, sam conner, dan thorpe etc came along half an hour later they wouldn't of done exactly the same thing? The ssdt for those boys is won and lost on one five in 180 sections.

So Graham leaves the rock alone and has a five or three on an easy section as a consequence, then I or some other wobbler falls off and moves said rock. another top guy then appears and cleans the section, whos the better rider ?

Gardening has always happened, in a pure sense it shouldn't but rocky sections change all the time, we all do it if we are honest.

Ive now seen the other thread which started this.

Nothing personal bigfoot but your having a laugh..

Jarvis won the SSDT in 98 0r 99 I think, 2004 wasnt his first win. As for no other riders moving rocks thats cobblers. They may be better at disguising their actions perhaps but they all do it. Dave Thorpe is still a legend at it now, saunders was once referred to as the golden boot for his dimmock like landscaping. Nothing against either rider im just using them as examples but i dont consider either of them cheats.

IF observers marked every one with a five who moved a rock then fine but we all know they dont.

Give grimbo a break, he's not done anything his competitors dont do.

i think that any rider will do a bit of shuffling or gardeneing with the rocks if it gives them a better chance at cleaning the sections and who cares if the observer lets you then why not do it just dont go mental and start moving large amounts and anyone that says that they never move or alter the sections are lying because every single rider has done it at least once

I must admit a few years ago I flew home from West Aus to visit the relees in Kent, since there was a trial on near Canterbury I drove down to watch. Although Graham wasn't riding I got chatting with his dad and walked with him around the course. The amount of gardening being done by all riders was truely amazing I spoke with Steve Foord who was riding the trial and rode in West Aus a previous year and he said it was quite normal. Here in West Aus gardening is definetly out, if the (my better arf!!) is observing and a rider accidently kicks a rock she will make them replace said rock to its previous location.

Unfortunatly shares in JCB have never been floated here in Aus!!!!

I consider moving rocks to be an art-form and is just as big a part of trials riding as riding the bike! with so little between the top riders now you have to get every advantage you can!

I remember the first time I rode the s-s-d-t in 97 I waited for the observer to watch the rider through the end of the section and I bent down to lift a massive boulder out of the way, the problem was that when I got the boulder up in my arms is was too heavy,I tripped up and ended up pinned under the rock on my back in the middle of the stream!

The funny thing was that the observer had to rush down the section ond lift the rock off me!!

everyone was pi!s+ng themselves!!

• 3 weeks later...

World round in Belgium at Mons.

Observer shouting at riders building a kicker in front of a step.

Kicker removed.

Kuroyama's minder builds new massive kicker.

Observer runs after minder swinging fists and aiming boots at rapidly retreating backside.

Kicker removed by observer.

Minder slunk away

Kuroyama fives section.

No one else dared to build kicker.

Observer Joel Robert that hard as nails 5 or 6 times world champion motocross rider!!!

Honsetly it was very funny to see.

We got discussing this yesterday, and Charlie brought up an interesting approach he had seen at a world round a year or two ago.

The section cheif saw a guy building a kicker, and made him take it back out, put the rocks back, restore to original condition.

Then Slowly turned to each of his observers and made sure they were ready, Very slowly,,,,,, And each observer took his time responding, that he was ready, as everyone had to check to make sure nothing had been constructed. The picture I have in my mind was that this was done in a very exagerated manner to make it clear to the riders that they were going to be thorough if this occured.

The riders and minders then started apparently hollering about time, and an interesting thought was pointed out to me. The rider / minder has a time limit, not the observers. So when they were good and ready, the cheif observer let the next guy in.

Then another minder / rider went into the section and was getting ready to move something, and all the other riders / minders made it very clear that they better not touch anything in there as it would delay an already short time limit.

In effect it made the minders and riders police themselves.

Not sure that I will have the gumption to do that, but it makes for some interesting thought.