Passport Locator

cota kid

I'm forever mispacing my passport and spending ages rushing manically around the house looking for it.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a passport locator.There usually a bright red plastic sheet that has an adhesive layer on one side, to which you secure your passport. They accept all types of British passport as well as Scottish ones.

The locator is then placed in a prominent position, for example near to a washing machine or other domestic appliance.

Now I'm in the clear I can tell the story...

When I'm abroad I tend to carry my passport everywhere with me. Japan was no different. I didn't fly directly home from Japan, but went via London for a three day meeting - hence I wasn't wearing the same clothes when I did finally get home.

I got home, unpacked and did the obligatory post-trip loads of washing last Sunday. On unloading the washing machine I thought "Hmmm....what's that purplish lump of papier-mache at the back?" That lump turned out to be what was left of my passport.

Now, given I'm off to the World Round in France next weekend and knew I was away on business again this week, this was not seen as a positive sign and much swearing was heard in Trials Central Towers.

Monday morning I phoned the passport helpline. They'll do a same day service for new passports, but not for replacements (what's that all about then - they already have all my details!) Quickest I could get one was the Fast-track one week service, but you have to make an appointment and attend in person to make the application. My nearest office is Glasgow (about half an hour away). The first appointment they had was Wednesday next week. Not good when you fly two days later. :thumbup:

Alternatives? The Durham Office had appointments from Wednesday this week onwards. With nothing in the diary for Wednesday the clutching at straws began. I went to my local post office to pick up the forms. "Can't help you. you need to go to a MAIN Post Office". Found one in Edinburgh, got the forms and then "S*** - where the hell do I find a photo booth?" Thanks to a colleague one was found in a supermarket in Edinburgh and the forms completed.

Wednesday morning the 320 mile round trip was made to Durham (which was a blast on the back roads down through the Borders :wub: ) and the application done!

I'm amazed they turned it round so quickly, but the replacement passport was waiting for me when I got home tonight - two days later.

For those going to France, I'll see you for a beer. That doesn't include Dom or Jake the supergrass :thumbup:

• 11 months later...

As the Cota Kid obviously got his info from a certain Mr. Miller for this blatant p***-taking, could the aforementioned Cota Kid ask the aforementioned Mr. Miller where his passport is right now? :( I hear it is somewhat damp!

What goes around, comes around :blink: