Removing Scrapes From Mudgards

leggins

Has anyone out there got any tips for cleaning up damaged paint work on my rev3 ? My son dropped my bike on a pile of Castleton rocks today causing some nasty scrapes . The rear mudgard was badly twisted but didnt crack . I have tried to ignore the damage but it draws my eye so please help if you can.

cheers Leggins

I moved up to expert here in our local club and I have been twisting tweeking cracking and scraping my plastic almost every time I ride now. If you whiten due to stress the plastic your done game over thats the way it looks end of story. I am currently using two different sets of plastics and since they were both getting pretty ugly i decided to start to play around. I was a body man in a car dealership for three years when in engineering school so i figured i couldnt do much damage. If you screw it up you can always get new plastic.

Yours are painted so it may be a little different. First is to use 3m plastic pollish an my power buffer. This worked well but it did not rub deap enough to get rid of the whitening. It did make them shine like new and with some 1000 grit sand paper on the scratches they will disapear. For paint use standard rubbing compound and if you dont have a power buffer use some elbow grease. 1000-2000 grit sand paper will take off the edge of the scratch and if it is not below the paint you can usually fix the scratch. Make sure to use water with the sand paper.

To get rid of the whitening i tried a heat gun from under neath and got it to about 300 degrees before it started to warp. It did fix a bit of the whitening but I found that it weakened the plastic and it finally cracked. At this point I gave up trying to get rid of the whitening.

I am cheap and I dont want to buy a fourth set of plastics for this bike but it looks like i will before i sell it. Good luck and try some rubbing compound.

-Biff