Money Instead Of Trophies & Prizes

atomant

As I have already found out through a previous thread, a majority of peeps on here don't want to pay any money towards youth development so instead of collecting trophies etc, could they not receive money to help them finance their fledging careers. Or fuel tokens or something along those lines. Anything that will help ease the cost to the families?

what do you think?

Could be a good idea, dont think you can give money though for youths, may be wrong. Tyres could be a good way instead of trophies or free entries to trials and memberships if a few clubs got together and offered these prizes. Hoping my lad will be competing soon but not looking forward to the costs much though. I am sure even the little things will help on mums and dads budgets, down side could be theres nothing better for a 12 year old to be given a great big shiney trophy after a trial

Edited by Betarev3

GOOD TOPIC

BUT LOOK AT IT THIS WAY

I STARTED AS A 10/11 YEAR OLD 25 OR SO YEARS AGO

NOT ONLY WAS IT BRILL TO RIDE ON WEEKEND BUT TROPHIES LOOKED GREAT ON MANTLE PIECE

EVEN BETTER NOW AS YOU CAN REFLECT ON OLD WINS ETC WHEREAS IF YOU JUST GOT DOUGHWHEN YOU GET OLDER AND GREYER ALL YOU WILL HAVE ARE FADING MEMORIES AND YOUR KIDS WILL NOT BELIEVE HOW GOOD YOU ONCE WERE

Well, theres pros and cons with everything but I would think that having a memory of riding in a European round or even a World round in another country would be a far greater memory than winning a trophy. All you need for the memory is look at the entry sheet <_<

But I cant see a reason why financial gifts can't be given instead of trophies?

you cant charge admission to public to watch youths perform - thats why all youth MX is free the watch

don't know why the prize money thing is there though ......... (child abuse maybe ?)

the problem is how big is the prize money you're proposing ??? there is a debate on the MX forum (MXTrax) over prize money and some of the numbers we give out are tiny and not worth picking up, especially in relation to the entry fee. on the other hand some events have some cracking trophy's that have been going for years that are worth a fair few bob!!! - would be a shame to loose them (although maybe not some of the cheap tacky trophy's that are out there)

any body who can lash 3 grand for a new bike or even 1500 for an old bike is not going to get much out of a tenner are they..

still got my first ever trophy ( CHEAP PLASTIC CUP) on the desk from my first win, the tenner would no doubt be boosting some arab states economy or improving the pension of Timothy Taylor..

If individuals or companies or clubs want to help out riders then their money would be better spent targeting riders and giving them a real hand.

In '99 I volunteered to take over running our club trials. The first thing I did was to introduce a championship to try to boost attendance and give good value for money.

For two or three years this worked very well (pre-footand-mouth.) At the end of the year presentation evening the youths would recieve a trophy (top three in each of four routes) and the adults would be offered a trophy or the equivalent award in cash,

I`m very interested in this thread as I believe that there are many younger riders out there who may be missing out due too parents just not being able too afford everything, I know this is a relativley cheap motorsport but when you are talking championships and the like then the travelling gets a lot more, so does the likes of training etc etc.

I can at the same time see the issue with giving cash as an award too the competitor (look at the pop stars for example or soap stars under 18 they get paid but cannot touch it untill such age) Now I beleive that too be a legal issue not 100% but it`s along those lines. Surely however as someone else has mentioned before hand if the money could be put towards the likes of fuel tockens? there must be some form of a loop whole too allow this?

And I also agree on the point that this should be an optional thing dependant on the family involved? someone out there may be a little better off and much prefer the trophy.

Ramble over and looking back at it I only hope you catch my drift <_<