Tlr200/250's, Any Good ?

gaff

Been toying for ages about getting another 4-stroke that i could use in "twin-shock" and maybe "green-lane" events, and was curious to know what your views on the Honda TLR200/250 were.

I have an old brochure from '83 that states "HRC optional tune-up kit" what would that comprise of ?

Apart from removing the lights/electric-pack, would there be anything else i should consider changing.

And lastly, what are spares like ?

Thanks in advance.

Gaff.

Edited by Gaff

You obviously didn't buy the TLR250R then!

Like you i've been toying with the idea of getting a TLR200 for long distance trials for some time, get quite excited about the prospect then I get on one and change my mind! Its happened several times. Seems to be one of those bikes that everyone wants but no-one ever has anything really good to say about them. I'm interested for someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem is, that if you want a trials 'biassed' trail bike there is very little choice if you want a four stroke twinshock. The TLR250F (thats the red/white/blue) twinshock is really a dedicated trials bike; I had one and the gearing just wasn't suitable for green laning, unless you are masochistic. Also they have a relatively delicate engine (bore is out to its max) they get hot with clutch problems (I could go on!) Great bike, but 200 is more of a plodder for green lanes. Only about 12 hp so don't expect too much.

Spares for 200 is a bit hit and miss, Dave Silver should get most consumables.

Other options? Serow or Beta Alp, though I've ridden neither.

Cheers

TLPaul. Na, the more i looked into the TLR250R the more i went off of it.

But the TLR200/250's i've always had a bit of a soft spot for (as well as RTL's, but then again what 4-stroke trials fan has'nt).

Another mad-cap idea i have had recently is to get an 87 RTL (it's OK, the bike had already been broken) frame, swing-arm, shock and other bit's and pieces and put a Kawasaki KLR250 engine in it, if it fits ? But, it's only a passing thought, and will most probably never happen !

Gaff.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the old TLR250, make no mistake, this is an incredibly reliable machine, it's ability to find grip is second to none, parts are pretty easy to get (should you need any) and of course the build quality is top notch.

Mine has been the least trouble of all the bikes i have ever owned, including modern machines. Plus they are going up in value all the time.

I also geared mine up slightly for some extra top end speed, no problem.

Sounds interesting Gaff, personally i wouldn't have the determination to finish a project like that, but good luck if it happens.

T'Shock 250, I agree that the TLR250 is a great bike, the traction is (even from a novice point of veiw) remarkable, and the build quality...well...its a Honda, your'e preaching to the converted. Also (not that its important) I think its one of the sexiest looking bikes around.

I didn't have mine long, it was not the best example and someone made me a good offer. Also I wanted the money to buy a TL250, which is in almost showroom condition. Something had to go!

Gearbox on mine was a bit hit and miss so I was never quite sure if I ever actually got into 6th, which may account for the lack of road speed. It climbed just about any hill in just about any gear. An impressive Machine, but (from what I've heard) an engine which needs regular TLC.

I don't think Honda could afford to make such high quality bikes today, would be too expensive. And yes, they are a good investment, probably better return than any bloody pension!

If I had the money and space my collection would include:

TL125K2

TL250

TLR200E (not Reflex)

TLR250F

TLR250R (Yes Gaff I'd like one for the novelty!)

XL250 Motorsport

TL50 (for the wife to learn on!)

RTL250 (Don't know too much about these but like the girly pink one!)

SEROW or SHERPA (Kawa not Bultaco)

Now where's that lottery ticket?

Plus they are going up in value all the time.

I've had two TLR 250 a few years ago, nice bike for sure......I'm sure somebody told me that all TLR's were made in 1985...nearly 20 years old, look out for the normal wear and tear but on both of mine the rims had rotted from the inside out (an easy

post-24-1077654510.jpg

Edited by Marky G

TLPaul, that reminds me, what is the difference between the TLR200E and the Reflex, apart from colour ?

Along with the bikes i already have, my (dream) collection would consist of :-

Ossa 250 Mk1/Mk2 (the bike that first got my attention)

Triumph Tiger Cub (always liked these)

88/89 Honda RTL250S Double-disc (to go with my 87 Pink and White one)

etc etc.

And a few spare

Hi there

Marky G - As TLR's go that one looks pretty original, even has the speedo and some white left on the sidepanels!

Gaff - Agree with your choices, always like the look of the Ossa's, and the first trials bike I rode was an original Tiger Cub Trials. Lovely little bike but I'm told they need constant 'fettling'; which is why I prefer Jap stuff!

For fear of sounding like an anorak, differences in TLR200E & Reflex,

Basically the same bike but:

TLR200E, made from 83 to 85, Red/White/Blue, sold in Japan (not sure if ever officially imported to UK) They had gold anodised alloy rims, with decent forks. Rectangular headlamp unit.

TLR200Reflex, made from 86 to 87 (I think) for the american market. Mainly White with dark blue/red 'flashes' down tank and sidepanels. They had chromed steel rims, with THINNER forks. Round headlamp unit.

Basically the Reflex was a cheapened up trail version, though probably still adequate for green laning. The motors were identical as far as I know, producing a neck wrenching 12hp. I've seen some Jap imports with a one piece tank/seat unit, which looked good. I'm also told the TLR250 Tank/Seat will fit straight on, if you wanted to trial it. There is a Guy in France selling TLR250 replica tank and seat, but it ain't cheap.

If you want it for Green Laning, have you thought about a Serow/Sherpa/Beta Alp/XR250 ?

Hope this helps.

Keep me posted!

Cheers

Paul

Ive got a TLR 200 had it for four years now and it has been very reliable. Parts for it are easy to get but rarely needed. I use mine for twinshock trials and also setting events out so it get a lot of work. I have put a wes exhaust on it which has helped the power. It isnt as powerful as the 250 of course but i find it easier to ride in the tight twinshock sections but still has enough power to pull third up hillclimbs. I also put a 250 tank and seat on it which was kindly sold to me by t-shock250, you just have to alter the front tank fixings to make it fit but the seat goes straight on.

VERRRY NICE. Booma, is that a one-piece tank-seat unit ?

Ifso, where did you get it from ???

Thanks for the info TLPaul and Sparky.

I've thought about Beta Alp's or Honda XR's, but i fancy a twin-shock trials again thats 4-stroke, something i missed out on in my youth.

Gaff.