Death Of Youngster In Quarry At Whitworth

dabmeister

This tragic story has been on Radio 2 news all day, said he was taking part in a motorcycle trial. Anyone know anything about it?

Cut and pasted from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4782947.stm

Teenage biker dies in quarry fall

A teenager has died after the motorbike he was riding plunged more than 70ft into a quarry in Lancashire.

The 14-year-old boy, who has not been named, was riding near the Crown Quarry in Whitworth at around 1830 BST on Thursday when the accident happened.

Police say the youngster, who comes from the Bacup area, lost control of the machine and it ran over the edge of the quarry.

A local mountain rescue team was called in to help recover the boy's body.

I got a few messages today about this and made a couple of phone calls. As far as I have been able to find out it was a Motocross rider NOT a Trials rider and it was Cowm Quarry, not Crown Quarry.

It is, however, still a tragic incident and I'm sure the thoughts of all go out to the family of this young lad. :blink:

I heard it on the radio today too :blink:

Back Cowm quarry is a great place to ride trials and I know that they also cater for MX and Land Rovers as well. When I first went 3 or 4 years ago, the bloke that took my money asked me if I had been before. When I said no, he just said "Watch out for the bomb holes".

There is one 'bomb hole' in particular that is probably 80 foot deep and 150 foot across. No fence, ropes, nothing! I'm surprised there hasn't been any injuries/fatalaties previous to this tragic event.

Sincere condolances to his family, RIP young fella...

There is one 'bomb hole' in particular that is probably 80 foot deep and 150 foot across. No fence, ropes, nothing! I'm surprised there hasn't been any injuries/fatalaties previous to this tragic event.

I've never been, but have been told that too - more than once. I suspect once Health and Safety get hold of this which they inevitably will as part of the subsequent FAI that Back Cowm will be no more except for officially organised and supervised events.

front page headlines on tonites 'manchester evening news'

earlier posts spot on ,was midweek 'enduro nite' the guys at back cowm have just set up a marked 'cross country ' type enduro course pretty much taped and roped off alll the way round

location is ideal for trials practice and club to national trials with quarry workings over approx 100 acres some of the quarry faces are 80- 100 feet high and some of the workings could be 80 or so feet deep not a place to ride alone or if you are inexperienced

i believe that prices have risen in the last couple of months to cover the work on the 'cross country ' course i believe that trials bikes are now a tenner each and that the midweek enduro nites could be as much as 25 quid a bike

I've never been, but have been told that too - more than once. I suspect once Health and Safety get hold of this which they inevitably will as part of the subsequent FAI that Back Cowm will be no more except for officially organised and supervised events.

Back Cowm quarry is run as a business now and I'm sure it is run properly with respect to H&S, public liability insurance etc. At the end of the day, it's a 140 acre site that is perfect for motorsport - tragic accidents will happen no matter what...

I've been to back cowm a couple of times and the people there were helpful and generally a good bunch but it did strike me that you could just turn up, pay your tenner and ride and there was some real extreme stuff there which perhaps a freindly word/warning would have been in order. I sincerely hope this is not the end for the quarry as soon there will be nowhere to practise.

my condolences to the lads family at this tragic time

I agree this is a truly awful thing to happen to any family.

My dearest condolences go out to them.

It was at Back cowm quarry which is in whitworth just outside rochdale.

An article was posted on the rochdale observer website, article. read some of the comments at the bottom.

now to my views. I ride there nearly every saturday.

The accident happened on a thursday evening which is enduro night, the enduro course is marked out and runs all around the quarry.

There are some big drops, some of which are fenced off some arn`t.

When entering the quarry you have to sign a disclaimer, under 18`s to have a parent to sign.

The price of riding at the quarry has just recently gone up to cover insuarance, marshalling and developement of the site.

Trials riding there is the cheapest at

Edited by Chris Morris